Backup Data Partition and Restore to Second Laptop.

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
ronk

Backup Data Partition and Restore to Second Laptop.

Post by ronk »

Using IFL 3.03 GUI Nonet. Backed up a couple partitions to usb external drive, as I have in the past with the 2.x nonGui IFL, then on a different (backup laptop) system, restore them to either a similar partition with same size, or to unallocated drive space. This is to/from a non-boot, non-C drive, with default restore options set. When I attempted the restore of the first of two partitions, it warned me and overwrote all partitions on the destination disk with the one partition. I finally had to restore the two partitions (partial drive) using the 'change disk' which then created identical 'primary' partitions, and left large unallocated space.

My question is, I wish to periodically copy partitions to the 2nd system which would have nearly identical sized individual partitions, and if they don't exist, have the restore create them. This is windows 10, how is the 4 primary partition limit and extended partition handled? Would like to have the destination be logical partitions.

I looked at the manual but didn't see much about logical vs. primary partitions in the restore section, and whether IFL will create the partition if it doesn't exist.

Hope this all makes sense. Essentially the 2nd laptop is a disaster backup type laptop should my main laptop fail for any reason. Both have SSD's for the OS, and Sata drives for data.

Ron
Last edited by ronk on Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mashedmitten

Re: Backup Data Partition and Restore to Second Laptop.

Post by mashedmitten »

Restore makes a partition regardless. If the restore is say 30GB and the destination partition is 40GB, you'll get a 30GB partition and 10GB free space. Did you choose Automatic or Manual restore? Should have been Manual. Only other thing is not selecting the specific partition and the disk was selected.
ronk

Post by ronk »

That's the way it used to work for me with the non-Gui IFL. I believe both Automatic and 'Normal' restore were tried . I had even deleted and 'quick formatted' the destination partition, but Terabyte still showed one partition name on the dest. drive, and wouldn't let me restore anything else until i used the 'change disk' option.

I now have 2 primary partitions restored, and wish to restore a couple more, since lots of unallocated space, but afraid of overwriting what I have there.

Thanks for the response.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

ronk wrote:
> Using IFL 3.03 GUI Nonet.
>. When I attempted the
> restore of the first of two partitions, it warned me and overwrote all
> partitions on the destination disk with the one partition.

Ron,

There is a bug in 3.03 when used in Auto mode...

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/upgrad ... indows.htm
ronk

Post by ronk »

OK, Thanks!

that's what likely happened, but it didn't seem to recognize the destination partitions properly either before hitting start restore. Will download 3.05 .

Update: Yes, 'auto' worked fine to bring in a single logical partition to the unallocated space w/o wiping the adjacent partitions. The only small thing is it didn't put it right next to them, but left some space between. I can move the partition with EaseUS PM.

Ron