bootitbm/ifd shows wrong from partitition

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
wizzleme

Re: bootitbm/ifd shows wrong from partitition

Post by wizzleme »

Thanks for all the replies. Brian's last reply cleared things up, and I successfully restored the boot MBR1 win7 partition. Also I was not aware the reserved partition contained bootitbm files so I will image that as well.

The software from Terabyte is good software and the forum support is also very good. That is the reason I have kept using TB products.

However, that being said, I have to again call your attention to picture 3 in my previous reply. It states "Select item to Process" and then beneath that "Restore FROM" Drive and MBR1.

This is very confusing and wrong. THe program lists the wrong partition that you are restoring from. Previous screens have already asked where to restore from. This screen repeats the "Restore from" and lists the wrong partition. You are not restoring FROM MBR1, you are restoring TO MBR1. Very confusing and wrong. Only later does Restore To: show up. There is nothing in the menu stating that this screen will show the partition TO BE restored and it says "Restore FROM".

While TB software is good, it's big drawback is lack of clarity and confusing disorganized documentation. Just my opinion.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

wizzleme wrote:
. Also I was not aware
> the reserved partition contained bootitbm files so I will image that as
> well.
>

That partition has always been there and contains Win7 booting files, not BIBM files.

Read TeraByte Support's post again about Restore From. It makes sense to me.

Picture 3 shows what will be restored from the image. It shows the image contains MBR 1 partition image and you will later Restore To MBR 1 partition.

By the way, do you have the latest BIBM?
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

wizzleme,

Let me try one more time to explain the screen that you are convinced is showing incorrect information.

First, i can't emphasize enough that that screen is describing the CONTENTS of the image/backup/.tbi file.

Maybe it will be easier to understand if you consider that, not in this case, but in the general case, the image/backup/.tbi file could contain backups of several partitions. In that case, the screen in question would show the partitions the backups of which are the CONTENTS of the image/backup/.tbi file allowing you to choose which of those partitions you wish to restore. Once you make that choice, you indicate on a subsequent screen where you want the backed up data of the chosen partition restored to. It might be where it previously was, i.e. the original partition location or it might be somewhere else to create a copy of the original partition.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Bob Coleman wrote:
> but in the general case, the image/backup/.tbi file could contain
> backups of several partitions. In that case, the screen in question would
> show the partitions the backups of which are the CONTENTS of the
> image/backup/.tbi file allowing you to choose which of those partitions you
> wish to restore.

Bob, good explanation.
Brian K