WinPE/RE needs IFW pre-installed to operate

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.

WinPE/RE needs IFW pre-installed to operate

Postby Yottabytes » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:55 am

Do WinPE or RE depend on the pre-installation of Image for Windows on a hard drive in order to operate when booting from the WinPE rescue disk? In other words after creating a WinPE/RE, will I be able to use the rescue disk on an unformatted hard drive that doesn't have Image for Windows installed? I'm looking for a work around for the lack of support for file system browsing from the regular IFL rescue disk. See post viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2313
Yottabytes

Re: WinPE/RE needs IFW pre-installed to operate

Postby TeraByte Support(PP) » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:32 pm

Booting TBWinRE or TBWinPE on a system doesn't require IFW to be installed on it.

Have you tried the current version of IFL V3? Are those partitions still not showing up?
Paul Purviance
TeraByte Support
TeraByte Support(PP)

Postby Yottabytes » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:25 pm

Detection of PCI SSDs does work on v3.03 (thanks!) but for some reason the detection and mounting take a long time. Although, having built the WinRE disk since my first post, I see that that disk takes longer to boot than IFL. So I guess it's a coin flip. :?
Yottabytes

Postby TeraByte Support(PP) » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:02 pm

I didn't notice any excessive times in my tests, but systems vary a lot.

How long is it actually taking to detect (I assume this is for them to show up in the list)? How long to mount? Difference compared to a normal drive partition on the system?
Paul Purviance
TeraByte Support
TeraByte Support(PP)

Postby Yottabytes » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:43 am

@TeraByte Support. False alarm. My CD drive was loaded and apparently that drive was scanned during the attempt to mount the PCI SSD partitions. Once I removed the CD the PCI SSD mount speed was comparable to my other hard drives. Thanks.
Yottabytes

Return to Image for DOS/Linux/Windows