Questions re. creating image for deployment and sysprep ?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Mrx

Questions re. creating image for deployment and sysprep ?

Post by Mrx »

In the past I've just installed Windows on my desktop, activated it, made any tweaks/changes, installed+configured apps, performed Windows updates, etc., and created a MASTER image using IFL. This master image has then been restored to all my computers (only desktop and laptop at the moment). When I restore to the laptop, Windows installs more drivers for the laptop, I change product key/re-activate, and I usually have to tweak a few more things, but it has worked without any real problems.

Recently, I've been looking into sysprep, Windows audit-mode, and creating custom Windows install discs/images (with tweaks and possibly apps already installed).

My scenario is quite simple in that I just want a image I can deploy to all my machines, and make minimal tweaks to each. Aside from connecting to the Internet and LAN there are no specific needs (eg. no Active Directory or corporate shenanigans)

1) In my scenario should I sysprep before creating the MASTER image with IFL ?
2) Is there a better way to create an image for deployment, and what are the steps (there are various tutorials, but they often seem to differ slightly in the steps).

I'm also trying to simplify the initial Windows setup by creating a batch script to perform the various tweaks (and possibly install/configure apps), so I can just run this script after a Windows install instead of having to manually change lots of Windows settings and installing/configuring apps. I can modify this script for new versions of Windows, with any required changes (but a lot will stay the same).

Any other tips/advice would be appreciated.
TeraByte Support

Re: Questions re. creating image for deployment and sysprep ?

Post by TeraByte Support »

In general, you can just run sysprep then create the main image. For more
details there is some information on sysprep (and other links) here:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/search.php?include_categories=1&query=sysprep&submit=Go

"Mrx" wrote in message news:12704@public.image...
1) In my scenario should I sysprep before creating the MASTER image with IFL
?
2) Is there a better way to create an image for deployment, and what are the
steps (there are various tutorials, but they often seem to differ slightly
in the steps).