Image File Naming Convention

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
bbearren

Image File Naming Convention

Post by bbearren »

This is my question: in IFW where is the default image filename format, and what can I do to change it to follow my preferred naming convention, something like "$~YYYY$-$~MM$-$~DD$-$~Label" ? What follows are my reasons for asking (in case a little background helps).

I dual boot. I have multiple drives with multiple labeled partitions on the drives. I use the full-feature GUI to backup 6 partitions (OS, Users, Programs X 2) on 2 different drives to a third drive on a fairly routine schedule. Other partitions change less frequently, so I don't make images of those unless I've made changes in the partitions.

I create my images on a dedicated internal drive, and later archive them by copying to external drives. My target drive is laid out with folders named with the image source, the date of the image creation, and the partition Label, for example ThisBootOS\2016-09-03\Label, and the individual image files are date\source within the Label folder, for example ThisBootOS\2016-09-03\Users\2016-09-03 Users.TBI. I know that may sound tedious, but when I launch IFW, 20 partitions on 3 drives show up after I select Backup - Full. Using this naming convention makes it easier to keep track of what I'm doing and where as I progress through the menus.

When I create a new set of images, I first create the folder structure on the target drive, then launch IFW and start creating my partition images. I select the partition to backup, target my dedicated image drive, then click through the folder structure, and IFW comes up with a file name for the image, for example "Backup-w0-0x3-$~YYYY$-$~MM$-$~DD$-$~HHMM$". But I don't want to use that file name, I want to use my own naming convention. I strip off the head and tail to get "$~YYYY$-$~MM$-$~DD$", then add "Users" to get "2016-09-03 Users.TBI" as a filename.

That routine is one that I have worked with and refined since I first began using the image function in BING, and it makes it quite simple to find and restore a particular image from among several sets of images spanning several dates. I piddle in the OS and/or registry from time to time, sometimes hosing the OS, and a quick restore gets me right back to where I goofed up.

I'd rather customize IFW to my way of doing things instead of trying to unlearn old habits and learn new habits. Can that filename format be changed?
mjnelson99

Re: Image File Naming Convention

Post by mjnelson99 »

Realize that you CAN change the file name when you start the image?
I have 2 laptops so need to know which one I am imaging.
Mary

On 9/3/2016 10:11 AM, bbearren wrote:
> This is my question: in IFW where is the default image filename format, and what can I do to change it to follow my preferred naming convention, something like "$~YYYY$-$~MM$-$~DD$-$~Label" ? What follows are my reasons for asking (in case a little background helps).
>
> I dual boot. I have multiple drives with multiple labeled partitions on the drives. I use the full-feature GUI to backup 6 partitions (OS, Users, Programs X 2) on 2 different drives to a third drive on a fairly routine schedule. Other partitions change less frequently, so I don't make images of those unless I've made changes in the partitions.
>
> I create my images on a dedicated internal drive, and later archive them by copying to external drives. My target drive is laid out with folders named with the image source, the date of the image creation, and the partition Label, for example ThisBootOS\2016-09-03\Label, and the individual image files are date\source within the Label folder, for example ThisBootOS\2016-09-03\Users\2016-09-03 Users.TBI. I know that may sound tedious, but when I launch IFW, 20 partitions on 3 drives show up after I select Backup - Full. Using this naming convention makes it easier to keep track of what I'm doing and where as I progress through the menus.
>
> When I create a new set of images, I first create the folder structure on the target drive, then launch IFW and start creating my partition images. I select the partition to backup, target my dedicated image drive, then click through the folder structure, and IFW comes up with a file name for the image, for example "Backup-w0-0x3-$~YYYY$-$~MM$-$~DD$-$~HHMM$". But I don't want to use that file name, I want to use my own naming convention. I strip off the head and tail to get "$~YYYY$-$~MM$-$~DD$", then add "Users" to get "2016-09-03 Users.TBI" as a filename.
>
> That routine is one that I have worked with and refined since I first began using the image function in BING, and it makes it quite simple to find and restore a particular image from among several sets of images spanning several dates. I piddle in the OS and/or registry from time to time, sometimes hosing the OS, and a quick restore gets me right back to where I goofed up.
>
> I'd rather customize IFW to my way of doing things instead of trying to unlearn old habits and learn new habits. Can that filename format be changed?
>
>
bbearren

Post by bbearren »

mjnelson99 wrote:
> Realize that you CAN change the file name when you start the image?
> I have 2 laptops so need to know which one I am imaging.
> Mary

Yes, I've been changing the filenames for over a decade, but I now make images for a dual boot desktop, a dual boot laptop, a Windows 10 NAS. Usually when I backup one, I backup the rest. That's about 15 sets of images, unless I've made changes in some of the other partitions, then it's even more.

"Backup-w0-0x3" is just useless for me. It would simplify things if the filename format could be edited so that it would just pick up the elements that are already there and incorporate them into the filename. :D
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

I don't know the answer to the question as asked.

One possibility is to run IFW from a bat file or script of some sort and specify any filename you choose derived however you choose. Probably a useful suggestion only if you're comfortable in some kind of programming/scripting language.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

See the /filetpl (FileTemplate) option

label is not an option though.

bbearren

Post by bbearren »

Bob Coleman wrote:
> I don't know the answer to the question as asked.
>
> One possibility is to run IFW from a bat file or script of some sort and
> specify any filename you choose derived however you choose. Probably a
> useful suggestion only if you're comfortable in some kind of
> programming/scripting language.

I decided to go with a batch file as the easiest/simplest solution. Once I made that decision, is was a pretty straightforward next step to automate my routine backups of three partitions into batch files that create the directories in my target drive, create and verify the images byte-for-byte, and then run all three through a fourth batch file. I have one side of my dual boot setup, now the other side and it's a done deal.

Thanks