IFL and Microsoft Surface Pro 4

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
lmodra

Re: IFL and Microsoft Surface Pro 4

Post by lmodra »

I installed TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite V3 on my Surface Pro 4 today. My SP4 has been upgraded to the Anniversary Update. It is running Windows 10 Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.10)
The installation went fine, no error messages. I created boot USB pen drives (sticks) for DOS, Linux and UEFI, all on the SP4. Attempting to boot from the DOS stick resulted in a blank (black) screen, no evident activity. The DOS stick booted my desktop system successfully. Attempting to boot the SP$ from the UEFI stick just brought up a few white pixels at the top LH of the screen,the same result as from the version 2.99 UEFI boot stick I had tried previously. The Linux boot stick performed the same as the OP reported
IFL (GUI) Network Boot Disk - best available graphics mode
IFL (GUI) Network Boot Disk - 1024x768 graphics mode
IFL (GUI) Network Boot Disk - 800x600 graphics mode
IFL (GUI) Network Boot Disk - 640x480 graphics mode
IFL (GUI) Network Boot Disk - best available frame buffer mode

After a few seconds it clears the screen and shows

Loading vmlinuz.....

And hangs. I did have Secure Boot (Microsoft and 3rd party ...) enabled. I disabled secure boot and TPM and tried again. This time it got one step further, showing

Loading vmlinuz.....
Loading initrmfs.gz......

And hung.

But no advance from that on my SP4

I created a new TBWINRE boot stick, using all the defaults. The SP4 has booted from that (with Secure Boot [MS & 3rd ... ] and TPM enabled) and is currently backing up the SP4.
lmodra

Post by lmodra »

My previous post didn't include the problem I had when attempting to overwrite my earlier TBWINRE boot stick. It is a new USB 3 8GB Kingston Data Traveler. (While the v2.99 files on there had booted the SP4 and started the image creation, however it wasn't seen in File Explorer.) Attempting to rebuild the boot stick brought up an error and warning not to use it. I gave up on that and used a different USB 2 stick which loaded OK, and booted the SP4 and created an image.
I then decided to investigate the (apparently) faulty stick. SP4 File Explorer couldn't see it, Disk Management did, and said it was active, with EFI system, but no drive letter was allocated. All right click options were greyed out (except Help, which was no help!) Plugging it into my desktop (W 10 Insider) resulted in it being auto allocated a drive letter, it was readable and I could copy files into it. But SP4 still couldn't see it.
I eventually fixed it [by changing] the disk type from GPT to MBR, and change the file system to FAT32. I then plugged it back into the SP4, Disk Management saw it and allowed me to full format and allocate a drive letter. Now seen by SP4 File Explorer. Rebuilt it as a TBWINRE boot stick, no problems this time. Still seen in File Explorer and Directory Opus, and it boots the SP4 OK.
I have no idea why it was a GPT disk.
Posting in case it may help others.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

You can boot Image for Linux x64 version on the Surface Pro 4 when secure boot is disabled.
TAC109

Post by TAC109 »

wrote:
> You can boot Image for Linux x64 version on the Surface Pro 4 when secure boot is disabled.

(Posting in this thread as I have a Surface Pro 4.)

This works well.

Using IFL Partition Work, I wish to shrink the C partition and create some
new partitions. The disk is presently GPT. Can I do this to the GPT disk,
or do I have to convert it to EMBR first? (I see that various buttons are
available now for the GPT partitions.)

Edit: version 1.35c
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

yes, gpt has been supported since about 2011.

"TAC109" wrote in message news:13156@public.image...

wrote:
> You can boot Image for Linux x64 version on the Surface Pro 4 when secure
> boot is disabled.

(Posting in this thread as I have a Surface Pro 4.)

This works well.

Using IFL Partition Work, I wish to shrink the C partition and create some
new partitions. The disk is presently GPT. Can I do this to the GPT disk,
or do I have to convert it to EMBR first? (I see that various buttons are
available now for the GPT partitions.)

Edit: version 1.35c