IFW "Out of Memory" booted from TBWinRE

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
PsychBiller

IFW "Out of Memory" booted from TBWinRE

Post by PsychBiller »

I created a TBWinRE bootable USB drive based on IFL 2.99 and the Windows 10 build 1511 ADK. It worked fine to back up my BitLocker encrypted ThinkPad W520 with an ordinary hard drive. I used MANAGE-BDE to unlock the drive first.

But that same TBWinRE bootable USB drive doesn't work with my Dell Latitude E7440 laptop. This also has BitLocker, which I unlocked from a command prompt after booting TBWinRE. The BIOS is in UEFI mode, and the SSD hard drive is all GPT. It isn't using full drive encryption yet--just regular BitLocker.

When I start IFW 2.99-00, I immediately get a pop up error box "Out of memory". I tried running it with PHYLock disabled but the results were the same.

The system has 8GB RAM and the SSD is only 256MB. The target of the backup is an external USB 3TB drive that I have used many times to back up the Dell with IFL (no BitLocker)

Ideas?
Brian K

Re: IFW "Out of Memory" booted from TBWinRE

Post by Brian K »

PsychBiller wrote:
>
> When I start IFW 2.99-00, I immediately get a pop up error box "Out of
> memory".

PsychBiller,

Are you attempting an Entire Drive backup or an OS partition backup? Are you using Read from Volume?
PsychBiller

Post by PsychBiller »

Yes, I am backing up the entire drive. Yes, I am using Read from Volume after first unlocking the drive.

I used the same TBWinRE USB drive successfully on another laptop running the same build of Windows 10. That's what is so puzzling.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

As a test, can you try an OS partition backup.

Was the other computer a UEFI system?
PsychBiller

Post by PsychBiller »

Please ignore this thread. There was a user error. Dummy--I didn't realize I had selected the flash drive as the target instead of the actual external 3TB drive. Never mind! Thanks for your help, Brian.
PsychBiller

Post by PsychBiller »

Now I'm going to contradict myself again. It did give me "Out of memory" with the proper target selected. I was able to back up the main SSD partition only to the root directory of the external drive. My goal is to back up the full SSD to a subdirectory of the external drive. Is there possibly a problem with path length?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Try backing up the other partitions. I suspect it's the MSR that is causing the error.
PsychBiller

Post by PsychBiller »

Nope. The IFW.LOG shows VSS Snapshot Creation Failed (80042301h). I made sure the VSS service is running by launching Task Manager from TBLauncher and going to the Services tab.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

I recall the Win10 partition could be backed up and restored. When booting, after the restore, the BitLocker password was requested and in Win10 BitLocker was ON.
PsychBiller

Post by PsychBiller »

On my other laptop, which is also encrypted with BitLocker on Windows 10, I used this TBWinRE USB to do a full drive backup after unlocking the drive. I'm just trying to do the same on the Dell. Once I unlock the drive, BitLocker isn't in the way at all. That's why I use the "Read from Volume" backup option.