TBWinRE IFW byte-for-byte verify failure

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
bob66412

TBWinRE IFW byte-for-byte verify failure

Post by bob66412 »

I have a recently configured Windows 10 Home x64 PC (created from a WIN10 .iso, not an "upgrade"). Windows 10 is installed and boots from a dedicated C: boot SSD. There are additional data disk drives onto which backups can be written. I did a full install of Image for Windows 2.99.

When taking a backup of the C: disk with Image for Windows (from within Windows) using byte-for-byte validation the backup completes without errors.

If I use Image for Linux (boots from a memory stick) to take a full backup of the C: boot disk with byte-for-byte validation the backup completes with no errors.

If I boot from a TBWinRE memory stick and use Image for Windows to take a full backup of the same C: disk drive (saving to the same disk drive used by the above IFW and IFL), the byte-for-byte validation always fails near the end of the compare – "the image is corrupt".

Since IFW and IFL always runs successfully, I assume that the validation failure of IFW under TBWinRE is not hardware related. Why does TBWinRE Image for Windows fail the byte-for-byte validation test?

Thanks
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: TBWinRE IFW byte-for-byte verify failure

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

In WinPE/RE different drivers may be used and neither PHYLock or VSS are supported so it's not exactly the same environment as when booted in Windows.

Is it always failing in the same place or does it vary? Does it error if you save the backup to a different drive?
bob66412

Post by bob66412 »

Paul - -thanks for the reply.

I ran some more tests and IFW always fails in a slightly different place, but always around 97-98% through the verification.

If I save to different drives IFW fails similarly - "byte-for-byte comparison fails", at roughly similar places in the verification..

Bob
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

Always follow http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=151

All versions use different memory areas.
bob66412

Post by bob66412 »

Problem hopefully solved. IFW is the second program that I have encountered in the last two days that exhibits verification/comparison errors when run from a WinRE environment boot stick on my desktop PC. Decided that denial was no longer an option and spent the morning running memtest86 on my four memory sticks. One of those memory sticks consistently fails memtest86.

Restored the PC with just two of the four memory sticks and IFW under WinRE now verifies with no errors. Thanks for the assistance.