Create a single bootable USB flash drive with IFL and BIBM?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
timg11

Create a single bootable USB flash drive with IFL and BIBM?

Post by timg11 »

IFW/IFL and BIBM each have their own Makedisks.

Is it possible to create a single bootable USB flash media that will have fully functional IFL and BIBM available?

With an earlier version of IFL, it had BIBM available, but it made me enter the serial number. With 2.97e, I created a new USB drive with Makedisk, but when I boot to it, I don't see BIBM in the program dock in the IFL linux desktop at all.
Bob Coleman

Re: Create a single bootable USB flash drive with IFL and BI

Post by Bob Coleman »

timg11 wrote:

> With an earlier version of IFL, it had BIBM available, but it made me enter
> the serial number. With 2.97e, I created a new USB drive with Makedisk, but
> when I boot to it, I don't see BIBM in the program dock in the IFL linux
> desktop at all.

Given the context, I'm guessing that you mean Partition Work when you say BIBM in the above quote and that you are talking about entering the BIBM serial number when running the IFL Makedisk. If so, you can still do that.

I was prepared to say that you have to NOT use Simple in the Makedisk "Select the product to build" section, but I just tried it with Simple selected and got the request to enter the BIBM Licensed Name and Product key (I quit at that point), so I don't know why you are not getting that.

OK, I now see that you must select either "Simple - Allow program to control most options" or "Traditional - You have control over options. (Custom)", NOT "Traditional - You have control over options. (Default)".
timg11

Post by timg11 »

I re-ran the MAKEDISK for IFL-GUI again, and can confirm that it does not ask about BIBM. I used Traditional / Default, not using the Simple option. It does prompt for the IFL serial number.

When I download IFL, it is in the file ifl_en.gui.zip. When I download BIBM, it is in a separate ZIP file bootitbm_en.zip.

I extract these to different folders, and each contains a MAKEDISK and an ISO file appropriate for the product. I'm not sure how the IFL MAKEDISK knows about the BIBM MAKEDISK or folder, and vice versa.
Is there some type of merge procedure that brings them both together?
It seems they are fundamentally incompatible, since BIBM uses F35 and IFL is based on Isolinux.

I went back to the older USB stick with IFL, and it has a choice for "Partition Work" on the dock. This function requires the serial from BIBM, but it is not the full BIBM, just the partition work. For example it does not appear to allow editing of the boot menu.

I re-ran the MAKEDISK For IFL, using Traditional/Custom option. It did prompt me for the BIBM serial, and it does contain Partition work, which did not require the serial to run this time.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

timg11 wrote:

> I re-ran the MAKEDISK For IFL, using Traditional/Custom option. It did
> prompt me for the BIBM serial, and it does contain Partition work, which
> did not require the serial to run this time.

Do you consider this resolved?

To the best of my knowledge, IFL has never contained "the full BIBM".
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

They might be thinking of IFD-Image for DOS?

On 10/18/2015 5:46 PM, Bob Coleman wrote:
> timg11 wrote:
>
>> I re-ran the MAKEDISK For IFL, using Traditional/Custom option. It did
>> prompt me for the BIBM serial, and it does contain Partition work, which
>> did not require the serial to run this time.
>
> Do you consider this resolved?
>
> To the best of my knowledge, IFL has never contained "the full BIBM".
>
>
timg11

Post by timg11 »

Thanks, it would be nice to have a single bootable USB drive that could boot to BIBM or IFL, but I understand they are different. It is helpful to have at least the Partition work part of BIBM available from the ILF boot.