Page 1 of 1

BootitNG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:44 pm
by AlanD
Is BootitNG still useful, or does it have serious shortcomings when used
strictly as a partition manager with WIN 10?

AlanD

Re: BootitNG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:56 am
by mjnelson99
When I tried to access a Win 7 x64 partition with NG to repartition
size, it could not recognize it. I used Win 7 itself since it can resize
it's own partition.

BIBM can do it as well.
Mary

On 10/26/2017 8:44 PM, AlanD wrote:
> Is BootitNG still useful, or does it have serious shortcomings when used
> strictly as a partition manager with WIN 10?
>
> AlanD
>
>

Re: BootitNG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:58 pm
by AlanD
On 2017-10-27 10:56 AM, MJNelson wrote:
> When I tried to access a Win 7 x64 partition with NG to repartition
> size, it could not recognize it. I used Win 7 itself since it can resize
> it's own partition.
>
> BIBM can do it as well.
> Mary
>
> On 10/26/2017 8:44 PM, AlanD wrote:
>> Is BootitNG still useful, or does it have serious shortcomings when used
>> strictly as a partition manager with WIN 10?
>>
>> AlanD
>>
>>
>
>
Reason for question is that I own a copy of BING, which was used to set
up and control boot options between Windows 7 and XP.

It worked fine for that purpose, but now I have built a new computer on
which I will install WIN 10, but would like to also install my WIN 7
installation in a second partition, so a boot manager would again be
helpful.

AlanD

Re: BootitNG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:02 am
by Anvi
UEFI isn’t quite too complicated. It has its ups and downs, but from my perspective it seems like there is more to love than hate. As long as OEMs don’t take away the user’s control over secure boot, I’m perfectly content with this newer system.

Re: BootitNG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:50 pm
by ohaya
AlanD wrote:
> On 2017-10-27 10:56 AM, MJNelson wrote:
> > When I tried to access a Win 7 x64 partition with NG to repartition
> > size, it could not recognize it. I used Win 7 itself since it can resize
> > it's own partition.
> >
> > BIBM can do it as well.
> > Mary
> >
> > On 10/26/2017 8:44 PM, AlanD wrote:
> >> Is BootitNG still useful, or does it have serious shortcomings when
> used
> >> strictly as a partition manager with WIN 10?
> >>
> >> AlanD
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
> Reason for question is that I own a copy of BING, which was used to set
> up and control boot options between Windows 7 and XP.
>
> It worked fine for that purpose, but now I have built a new computer on
> which I will install WIN 10, but would like to also install my WIN 7
> installation in a second partition, so a boot manager would again be
> helpful.
>
> AlanD


If you want to use BING with newer computers, you will have to switch the BIOS to non-UEFI mode and also disable "secure boot". Then you have to non-GPT partitions.

Some may argue against that, but to me that (using non-UEFI, disabling secure boot, and using non-GPT partitions) is all ok, I still do that with ALL the new machines that I use BING on, and even on the newer machines where I have started migrating to using BIBM on.

Re: BootitNG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:20 am
by DrTeeth
On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 00:50:55 EDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
ohaya disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>Some may argue against that, but to me that (using non-UEFI
>, disabling secure boot, and using non-GPT partitions) is all ok,
> I still do that with ALL the new machines that I use BING on,
> and even on the newer machines where I have started
> migrating to using BIBM on.

My view exactly. It's MBR for me until I get my pine box and go to the
bottom of the food chain.
--
Cheers,

DrT

"If you want to find out what is wrong
with democracy, spend five minutes with
the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Re: BootitNG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:41 pm
by mjnelson99
I personally got BIBM. Not sure what the actual answer is, though.
I could not even resize a Win 7 partition using BING. I used IFL.
Mary

On 10/26/2017 8:44 PM, AlanD wrote:
> Is BootitNG still useful, or does it have serious shortcomings when used
> strictly as a partition manager with WIN 10?
>
> AlanD
>
>