Win 10

User discussion forum for items related to technology in general.

Win 10

Postby mjnelson99 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:09 pm

I got Win 10 for my older laptop since its hard drive had room. The
download took HOURS. I started it from within Win 7. Went to bed @
midnight. The next morning the computer was as the Logon screen.

Yes, it truly DID show me my own desktop easily. I also found out how to
get the games from Win 7 to work in Win 10. They ARE working.

Printer on and a reboot and I could print. I had already made it the
Default and it was not working until the reboot.

I did turn off LOTS of stuff just after the install as warned about on
this and other web sites.

May keep Win 10 after all. The display is a bit harder to read, though.
Mary
mjnelson99
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Re: Win 10

Postby mjnelson99 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:10 pm

P.S. If anyone is interested in using Microsoft Money (Sunset version)
it is working better in Win 10 than in Win 7. Google it if interested.
I already had it installed when Win upgraded.

Will it install? Give it a try.

If your own bank accounts are rather light, I would rather use Money
than Quicken. I can update from my bank manually using QIF files.
I do need to watch for duplications if I have already entered a transaction.
Mary

On 8/1/2016 3:09 PM, MJNelson wrote:
> I got Win 10 for my older laptop since its hard drive had room. The
> download took HOURS. I started it from within Win 7. Went to bed @
> midnight. The next morning the computer was as the Logon screen.
>
> Yes, it truly DID show me my own desktop easily. I also found out how to
> get the games from Win 7 to work in Win 10. They ARE working.
>
> Printer on and a reboot and I could print. I had already made it the
> Default and it was not working until the reboot.
>
> I did turn off LOTS of stuff just after the install as warned about on
> this and other web sites.
>
> May keep Win 10 after all. The display is a bit harder to read, though.
> Mary
>
>
mjnelson99
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Re: Win 10

Postby TAC109 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:25 pm

I too, use MS Money Sunset. I installed it when on Win 7 and later upgraded
to Win 10. It works well for me, except that sometimes it stays in memory
and won't allow another copy to start. I fixed this by writing an
AutoHotkey script to detect when it is hanging around with no window, and
killing it off.

There's a very good site http://money.mvps.org/faq/ on various aspects of
Money - a bit out of date but has very in-depth information.

MJNelson wrote:
> P.S. If anyone is interested in using Microsoft Money (Sunset version)
> it is working better in Win 10 than in Win 7. Google it if interested.
> I already had it installed when Win upgraded.
>
> Will it install? Give it a try.
>
> If your own bank accounts are rather light, I would rather use Money
> than Quicken. I can update from my bank manually using QIF files.
> I do need to watch for duplications if I have already entered a transaction.
> Mary
>
> On 8/1/2016 3:09 PM, MJNelson wrote:
>> I got Win 10 for my older laptop since its hard drive had room. The
>> download took HOURS. I started it from within Win 7. Went to bed @
>> midnight. The next morning the computer was as the Logon screen.
>>
>> Yes, it truly DID show me my own desktop easily. I also found out how to
>> get the games from Win 7 to work in Win 10. They ARE working.
>>
>> Printer on and a reboot and I could print. I had already made it the
>> Default and it was not working until the reboot.
>>
>> I did turn off LOTS of stuff just after the install as warned about on
>> this and other web sites.
>>
>> May keep Win 10 after all. The display is a bit harder to read, though.
>> Mary


TAC109
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:41 pm

Re: Win 10

Postby mjnelson99 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:10 am

I have also had that file hanging around. A few times I reinstalled
Money. I have used Task Manager to shut it down as well.

On 8/9/2016 10:25 PM, Tom Cole wrote:
> I too, use MS Money Sunset. I installed it when on Win 7 and later upgraded
> to Win 10. It works well for me, except that sometimes it stays in memory
> and won't allow another copy to start. I fixed this by writing an
> AutoHotkey script to detect when it is hanging around with no window, and
> killing it off.
>
> There's a very good site http://money.mvps.org/faq/ on various aspects of
> Money - a bit out of date but has very in-depth information.
>
> MJNelson
>
> wrote:
>> P.S. If anyone is interested in using Microsoft Money (Sunset version)
>> it is working better in Win 10 than in Win 7. Google it if interested.
>> I already had it installed when Win upgraded.
>>
>> Will it install? Give it a try.
>>
>> If your own bank accounts are rather light, I would rather use Money
>> than Quicken. I can update from my bank manually using QIF files.
>> I do need to watch for duplications if I have already entered a transaction.
>> Mary
>>
>> On 8/1/2016 3:09 PM, MJNelson wrote:
>>> I got Win 10 for my older laptop since its hard drive had room. The
>>> download took HOURS. I started it from within Win 7. Went to bed @
>>> midnight. The next morning the computer was as the Logon screen.
>>>
>>> Yes, it truly DID show me my own desktop easily. I also found out how to
>>> get the games from Win 7 to work in Win 10. They ARE working.
>>>
>>> Printer on and a reboot and I could print. I had already made it the
>>> Default and it was not working until the reboot.
>>>
>>> I did turn off LOTS of stuff just after the install as warned about on
>>> this and other web sites.
>>>
>>> May keep Win 10 after all. The display is a bit harder to read, though.
>>> Mary
>
>
mjnelson99
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Re: Win 10

Postby mjnelson99 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:57 pm

Tom,
As I recall I usually get that delayed closing after doing a QIF update.
I probably should just keep the bank account window open & make sure
everything is in Money.
Mary

On 8/9/2016 10:25 PM, Tom Cole wrote:
> I too, use MS Money Sunset. I installed it when on Win 7 and later upgraded
> to Win 10. It works well for me, except that sometimes it stays in memory
> and won't allow another copy to start. I fixed this by writing an
> AutoHotkey script to detect when it is hanging around with no window, and
> killing it off.
>
> There's a very good site http://money.mvps.org/faq/ on various aspects of
> Money - a bit out of date but has very in-depth information.
>
> MJNelson
>
> wrote:
>> P.S. If anyone is interested in using Microsoft Money (Sunset version)
>> it is working better in Win 10 than in Win 7. Google it if interested.
>> I already had it installed when Win upgraded.
>>
>> Will it install? Give it a try.
>>
>> If your own bank accounts are rather light, I would rather use Money
>> than Quicken. I can update from my bank manually using QIF files.
>> I do need to watch for duplications if I have already entered a transaction.
>> Mary
>>
>> On 8/1/2016 3:09 PM, MJNelson wrote:
>>> I got Win 10 for my older laptop since its hard drive had room. The
>>> download took HOURS. I started it from within Win 7. Went to bed @
>>> midnight. The next morning the computer was as the Logon screen.
>>>
>>> Yes, it truly DID show me my own desktop easily. I also found out how to
>>> get the games from Win 7 to work in Win 10. They ARE working.
>>>
>>> Printer on and a reboot and I could print. I had already made it the
>>> Default and it was not working until the reboot.
>>>
>>> I did turn off LOTS of stuff just after the install as warned about on
>>> this and other web sites.
>>>
>>> May keep Win 10 after all. The display is a bit harder to read, though.
>>> Mary
>
>
mjnelson99
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Re: Win 10

Postby TAC109 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:33 pm

Hi Mary
In my experience with Money hanging around in memory, it seems to happen when Money has been closed when it is still trying to connect to the internet. This can happen if Money is closed very soon after opening.

Anyway, I wrote a small AutoHotkey script to monitor when Money is hanging around in memory with no window showing. If this occurs it kills off Money. I have been using it for several months now without problems. You can download it from http://bit.ly/2nbqBgI if you wish. The zip file includes the source and executable. When you run the program, there is only an 'H' icon in the system tray (bottom right of screen). You can right-click on this and there are options to start up when Windows loads, and to exit the program. Otherwise it sits silently in the background waiting to monitor Money.

Cheers
Tom

mjnelson99 wrote:
> Tom,
> As I recall I usually get that delayed closing after doing a QIF update.
> I probably should just keep the bank account window open & make sure
> everything is in Money.
> Mary
>
> On 8/9/2016 10:25 PM, Tom Cole wrote:
> > I too, use MS Money Sunset. I installed it when on Win 7 and later upgraded
> > to Win 10. It works well for me, except that sometimes it stays in memory
> > and won't allow another copy to start. I fixed this by writing an
> > AutoHotkey script to detect when it is hanging around with no window, and
> > killing it off.
> >
> > There's a very good site http://money.mvps.org/faq/ on various aspects of
> > Money - a bit out of date but has very in-depth information.
Last edited by TAC109 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TAC109
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:41 pm

Re: Win 10

Postby TAC109 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:01 pm

I've enhanced my MoneyCheck AutoHotkey script to also delete the .LRD files when it detects that the Money window has closed. On first use it will prompt for the location(s) of your .mny files and store these details in an .ini file in the same folder that you run MoneyCheck from. If you want to update the location(s) of your Money files, just right-click on the 'H' icon in the system tray and use the new option to change these details. You can download the zip file from http://bit.ly/2nbqBgI as before, and it includes the source and executable.
Last edited by TAC109 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TAC109
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:41 pm

Re: Win 10

Postby mjnelson99 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:11 am

They do show unpredictably, don't they? I haven't had it happen for a while.
Mary

On 10/2/2016 10:01 PM, TAC109 wrote:
> I've enhanced my MoneyCheck AutoHotkey script to also delete the .LRD files

when it detects that the Money window has closed. On first use it will
prompt

for the location(s) of your .mny files and store these details in an
..ini file

in the same folder that you run MoneyCheck from. If you want to update the

location(s) of your Money files, just right-click on the 'H' icon in the
system tray and use the new option to change these details. You can
download the zip file from
>
> [
> https://bit.ly/AHK-MoneyCheck
> ](https://bit.ly/AHK-MoneyCheck)
>
> as before, and it includes the source and executable.
>
>
mjnelson99
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Re: Win 10

Postby TAC109 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:37 pm

I updated MoneyCheck at http://bit.ly/2nbqBgI to tidy up the interface a little and make it more snappy.
Cheers
TAC109
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:41 pm

Re: Win 10

Postby TAC109 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:37 pm

Moneycheck is now at http://bit.ly/2nbqBgI as DropBox has changed their sharing system.

I have also changed the links in my earlier messages in this thread.
TAC109
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:41 pm

Next

Return to Technology