blue screens

User discussion forum for items related to technology in general.

blue screens

Postby mjnelson99 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:35 pm

I have a 3 year old laptop that has had 3 blue screens in about 3 weeks.
I was not doing anything very intensive at any time it crashed.


I did feel and the computer did not feel very hot the last time (this
morning).

Any suggestions?
Mary
mjnelson99
 
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Re: blue screens

Postby TeraByte Support(PP) » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:56 pm

Get the BSOD code and look it up (can usually help pinpoint the cause). Check the RAM and disk(s) for errors. Check if any programs or drivers have been installed recently. Check the Event Log for any error messages.
Paul Purviance
TeraByte Support
TeraByte Support(PP)
 
Posts: 1089
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:51 pm

Re: blue screens

Postby DrTeeth » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:23 am

On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 18:35:01 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
MJNelson disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>I have a 3 year old laptop that has had 3 blue screens in about 3 weeks.
Try system restore if you have a restore point that predates the
issue. You have nothing to loose and it quicker and easier that a
restore of a backup, plus no personal data lost.
--
Cheers,

DrT

** You've never known happiness until you're married;
** but by then it is too late.
DrTeeth
 
Posts: 965
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 am

Re: blue screens

Postby mjnelson99 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:58 am

I only use IFL/IFW, not Windows so there isn't one I can use.

On 2/1/2015 7:23 AM, DrTeeth wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 18:35:01 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
> MJNelson
>
> disturbed my reverie and wrote:
>
>> I have a 3 year old laptop that has had 3 blue screens in about 3 weeks.
> Try system restore if you have a restore point that predates the
> issue. You have nothing to loose and it quicker and easier that a
> restore of a backup, plus no personal data lost.
>
mjnelson99
 
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Re: blue screens

Postby mjnelson99 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:01 am

Is the BSOD error code near the top?
The display is not on very long before it reboots.

I did add a couple of new USB 3 (4 port) hubs, 2 diff mfgrs.
Might be worth disconnecting?
Mary

On 2/1/2015 12:56 AM, PP wrote:
> Get the BSOD code and look it up (can usually help pinpoint the cause).

Check the RAM and disk(s) for errors. Check if any programs or drivers have
been installed recently. Check the Event Log for any error messages.
>
>
mjnelson99
 
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Re: blue screens

Postby mjnelson99 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:05 am

I only started to use this computer when a 2nd laptop had a bad screen
so not sure how old I would need to get a restored version that might work.

Hopefully the other laptop will find itself back from Acer in the near
future.
Mary

On 2/1/2015 11:58 AM, MJNelson wrote:
> I only use IFL/IFW, not Windows so there isn't one I can use.
>
> On 2/1/2015 7:23 AM, DrTeeth wrote:
>> On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 18:35:01 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
>> MJNelson
>>
>> disturbed my reverie and wrote:
>>
>>> I have a 3 year old laptop that has had 3 blue screens in about 3 weeks.
>> Try system restore if you have a restore point that predates the
>> issue. You have nothing to loose and it quicker and easier that a
>> restore of a backup, plus no personal data lost.
>>
>
>
mjnelson99
 
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Re: blue screens

Postby rich071 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:56 am

Mary,

The link below, will show you how to disable the Auto Restart, so you can get the required information from the monitor, when the Blue Screen happens again. It has the info to do it manually or create a REG file, which ever makes you feel more comfortable. When installing Windows the first time, I always disable the Auto Restart for the very reason you are experiencing.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ ... s-crashes/

Where are the fan(s) on the laptop? A friend of mine had the blue screens as well and his fan was blowing down, not out the sides or out the back but down when setting on a hard surface. He uses his laptop as a desktop, so it never moves. He had blown out the vents and propped it up so the laptop had about an inch of space between the table and the laptop. His Blues Sceens have not returned.

Good luck,
rich071
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:14 am

Re: blue screens

Postby mjnelson99 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:20 pm

I ran a program within windows (part of Win7) that looked for problems
with 2 of the blue screens. However, it was right after I had just
turned the computer on. It found nothing.

May run it again later.
Mary

On 1/31/2015 8:35 PM, MJNelson wrote:
> I have a 3 year old laptop that has had 3 blue screens in about 3 weeks.
> I was not doing anything very intensive at any time it crashed.
>
>
> I did feel and the computer did not feel very hot the last time (this
> morning).
>
> Any suggestions?
> Mary
>
>
mjnelson99
 
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Re: blue screens

Postby TeraByte Support » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:32 pm

tap f8 just after the post, before starting windows comes up and then choose
the option to disable automatic reboot. then you can see what the bsod is.

"MJNelson" wrote in message news:9312@public.tech.misc...

Is the BSOD error code near the top?
The display is not on very long before it reboots.

I did add a couple of new USB 3 (4 port) hubs, 2 diff mfgrs.
Might be worth disconnecting?
Mary

On 2/1/2015 12:56 AM, PP wrote:
> Get the BSOD code and look it up (can usually help pinpoint the cause).

Check the RAM and disk(s) for errors. Check if any programs or drivers have
been installed recently. Check the Event Log for any error messages.
>
>

TeraByte Support
 
Posts: 2281
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: blue screens

Postby Walter B » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:25 am

Mary,

I just worked on a friend's notebook that was BSODing frequently. I used
MemTest+ and found that one of the memory modules was shot. I replaced it,
and that took care of it. The version of MemTest+ that I used is 4.20;
there may be newer versions.

Checking memory is always a good place to start for me, in addition to video
drivers.

"MJNelson" wrote in message
news:9312@public.tech.misc...
> Is the BSOD error code near the top?
> The display is not on very long before it reboots.
>
> I did add a couple of new USB 3 (4 port) hubs, 2 diff mfgrs.
> Might be worth disconnecting?
> Mary
>
> On 2/1/2015 12:56 AM, PP wrote:
>> Get the BSOD code and look it up (can usually help pinpoint the cause).
>
> Check the RAM and disk(s) for errors. Check if any programs or drivers
> have
> been installed recently. Check the Event Log for any error messages.
>>
>>
>
>

Walter B
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:48 am

Next

Return to Technology

cron