Accessing TBI files with different OS

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
userX

Accessing TBI files with different OS

Post by userX »

Hello. When I have used IFL to create an image of the entire file system, i.e. all the partitions, of a openSUSE linux drive (I hope that is the right terminology), I cannot later access from within Windows when I click on the TBI file as I am able to do, for instance, when the backup image is of a Windows file system. I suppose that this is normal. However, I would like to access the data on this IFL backup image now from a different Linux OS, not openSUSE. Is this possible?

Normally, and for the majority of time, I use a Windows 7 64-bit OS. Occassionally, I make use of Linux and I have a machine that runs it, which I also use for a backup system. In the past I have never needed or tried to access the TBI file of the Linux drive, but I want to start using a different Linux OS on a different machine, and I would like to have access to the data if need be. Can this be done with the IFL image, and how does it manage the fact that one of the partitions on the openSUSE OS used system encryption, the password to which I had to enter during boot? Thanks. :)
TeraByte Support(TP)

Re: Accessing TBI files with different OS

Post by TeraByte Support(TP) »

You can use the Linux version of TBIView to open TBI files in Linux. It runs from any distribution (it runs in a terminal window). You can find it on this page: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downlo ... -linux.htm

If a parttiion is encrypted, TBIView will not be able to access it, since it would have been imaged as an unrecognized file system.
userX

Post by userX »

Hi, Tom. Are you referring to the IFL boot disk environment? I believe I have the IFL that boots from CD into a GUI environment, and I think it comes with the IFL view program in it. Is that right? Thanks again. :)
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

Is it a ext2/3/4 type partition, if so, then you can use tbiview to access
it, if it's something else, your option is to install that driver for
windows to access that target file system type and then use tbimount.

"userX" wrote in message news:2776@public.image...

Hello. When I have used IFL to create an image of the entire file system,
i.e. all the partitions, of a openSUSE linux drive (I hope that is the right
terminology), I cannot later access from within Windows when I click on the
TBI file as I am able to do, for instance, when the backup image is of a
Windows file system. I suppose that this is normal. However, I would like
to access the data on this IFL backup image now from a different Linux OS,
not openSUSE. Is this possible?

Normally, and for the majority of time, I use a Windows 7 64-bit OS.
Occassionally, I make use of Linux and I have a machine that runs it, which
I also use for a backup system. In the past I have never needed or tried to
access the TBI file of the Linux drive, but I want to start using a
different Linux OS on a different machine, and I would like to have access
to the data if need be. Can this be done with the IFL image, and how does it
manage the fact that one of the partitions on the openSUSE OS used system
encryption, the password to which I had to enter during boot? Thanks.

![:)]({SMILIES_PATH}/icon_e_smile.gif)

userX

Post by userX »

TeraByte Support(TP) wrote:
> You can use the Linux version of TBIView to open TBI files in Linux. It
> runs from any distribution (it runs in a terminal window). You can find it
> on this page:
> http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downlo ... -linux.htm
>

I need to revisit this topic because my need for having (and creating for others) this sort of access and making recoveries is now more important. I believe that my license includes IFW, IFD and IFL, and in fact I normally make backups and, if necessary, restorations after booting into the IFL environment using the CD. However, what I need also is to use the TBIView program occassionally in order to access individual files and extract only one or two of them, or possibly a whole folder, without restoring an entire partition. In a case such as this, it is quicker and more efficient to be able to use TBIView while remaining booted in the regular OS, not having to boot into the CD recovery environment in order to make use of it.

TBIView is perfect for this scenario, and I have used it like this for Windows OS files only. Now I also need to do such a thing for the Linux OS. That is to say, I would like to be able to remain within the regular Linux OS and from there start up TBIView. If this is possible, then how are you suggesting I would do so? The program TBIView does not appear to be included within the repository as a program that can be downloaded and installed. Please advise. Thanks.
TeraByte Support(TP)

Post by TeraByte Support(TP) »

userX wrote:
> TeraByte Support(TP) wrote:
> > You can use the Linux version of TBIView to open TBI files in Linux. It
> > runs from any distribution (it runs in a terminal window). You can find it
> > on this page:
> > http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downlo ... -linux.htm
> >
>
> I need to revisit this topic because my need for having (and creating for others)
> this sort of access and making recoveries is now more important. I believe that my
> license includes IFW, IFD and IFL, and in fact I normally make backups and, if
> necessary, restorations after booting into the IFL environment using the CD. However,
> what I need also is to use the TBIView program occassionally in order to access
> individual files and extract only one or two of them, or possibly a whole folder,
> without restoring an entire partition. In a case such as this, it is quicker and more
> efficient to be able to use TBIView while remaining booted in the regular OS, not
> having to boot into the CD recovery environment in order to make use of it.
>
> TBIView is perfect for this scenario, and I have used it like this for Windows OS
> files only. Now I also need to do such a thing for the Linux OS. That is to say, I
> would like to be able to remain within the regular Linux OS and from there start up
> TBIView. If this is possible, then how are you suggesting I would do so? The program
> TBIView does not appear to be included within the repository as a program that can be
> downloaded and installed. Please advise. Thanks.

The Linux version of TBIView is a free utility that can be downloaded from the web page linked to above. You may need to scoll down the page a little to see the link for the TBIView download. Inside the downloaded zip file is a readme.txt file that covers how to set it up on a Linux distribution.