Image sets not possible under IFD

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Gary Seven

Image sets not possible under IFD

Post by Gary Seven »

Hello all.

I finally got around to updating to BootIt Bare Metal a few months back. Now that I have a little extra time, I've been playing with IFD to create a few backup images of a couple of partitions on my HD0 drive (I have one SSD and three internal HDD's installed in the case, plus one external 2TB USB3 HDD).

This works fine, but there clearly seems to be no option to create Image Sets as there was with the old BootIt NG. I mean, WTF? Why did you do this, Terabyte? How am I supposed to create image files of various partitions from one SSD and two HDD's all at one crack? As IFD is currently designed, I can only do one partition (ie, image) at a time. With the old image manager in BING, I created an image set to backup all relevant partitions to various image files on a separate, external HDD (ran it during the night) and all was done. Now, this doesn't seem possible.

Is this Terabyte's view of an enhanced/upgraded product?

G7
Brian K

Re: Image sets not possible under IFD

Post by Brian K »

Gary,

In BIBM, you can easily create images of multiple partitions. Use a tbs script.

Edit.... You can create multiple partition images from IFD too.
Bob Coleman

Re: Image sets not possible under IFD

Post by Bob Coleman »

Gary Seven wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I finally got around to updating to BootIt Bare Metal a few months back.
> Now that I have a little extra time, I've been playing with IFD to create a
> few backup images of a couple of partitions on my HD0 drive (I have one SSD
> and three internal HDD's installed in the case, plus one external 2TB USB3
> HDD).
>
> This works fine, but there clearly seems to be no option to create Image
> Sets as there was with the old BootIt NG. I mean, WTF? Why did you do
> this, Terabyte? How am I supposed to create image files of various
> partitions from one SSD and two HDD's all at one crack? As IFD is
> currently designed, I can only do one partition (ie, image) at a time.
> With the old image manager in BING, I created an image set to backup all
> relevant partitions to various image files on a separate, external HDD (ran
> it during the night) and all was done. Now, this doesn't seem possible.
>
> Is this Terabyte's view of an enhanced/upgraded product?
>
> G7

What follows is admittedly missing details because I don't remember or understand all of them and one of the difficulties of commenting on something like IFD is that I can't see IFD while commenting, but maybe this will get you started in the right direction.

You say "As IFD is currently designed, I can only do one partition (ie, image) at a time".

I don't understand that statement. It's straightforward to select multiple partitions to be imaged at once, at least if they are all on one HD. I have no experience with multiple HDs.

As you step through the GUI setting up an imaging process, on one of the last screens there is a Show Command button. If I recall correctly, you can click this and then save the shown command as a script so that it can be run later without stepping through the GUI. This functionality supersedes Image Sets.

I run the scripts so created via BootNow. I admit to not remembering how to run them without using BootNow.