Can fast startup ever be used with IFW?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
chileverde

Can fast startup ever be used with IFW?

Post by chileverde »

After reading the Forum Announcement and the Warning in the IFW User Manual, I am still confused about this.

The example in the Manual of how a problem arises is "you boot into Image for Linux after shutdown and save an image to a data drive". If I ever booted after shutdown from Windows 10, I would boot into Image for Windows running on WinRE (I do not plan to use Image for DOS or for Linux), and if I created a new image in WinRE, I would save it to an EXTERNAL USB drive. Under these circumstances, could a drive still become corrupted if I have fast startup enabled?

Also, in the Forum Announcement about this, you state that fast startup is linked to hibernation, which I use routinely. Does this mean that I must disable hibernation and never use it if I am using IFW on a laptop?
chileverde

Re: Can fast startup ever be used with IFW?

Post by chileverde »

I think I've answered my own question, after reading some good articles on Fast Startup, including these:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disa ... st-startup
https://lifehacker.com/shutting-down-wi ... 1825532376

Now I understand that Fast Startup is not the same as Hibernation. Rather, when Fast Startup is enabled, the computer is not completely shut down when the user clicks Shut Down, and what happens is similar to Hibernation, although the user is logged off, and programs, files, and folders are closed. A computer with Fast Startup enabled is shut down completely when the user gives a command to Restart or holds down <SHIFT> while clicking on Shut Down. (And there are methods to effect a complete shut down using command line.)

I conclude that if I disable Fast Startup, I must fully shut down my computer with a Shut Down or Restart command before booting it from WinRE or anything else besides Windows 10. In other words I should not Hibernate and then boot from WinRE, but it is O.K. to have hibernation enabled and Hibernate at other times. Is that correct?

(I am fine with disabling Fast Startup, but I am wondering if having it enabled would cause a problem with IFW as long as the user performed a complete shut down by doing <SHIFT>-Shut Down or Restart before booting into an OS other than WIndows 10.)
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

When you're dealing with hibernation in Windows (fast shutdown or not), the
file systems are not totally clean and on resume, those file system drives
treat all file systems as if they were in the same state when it hibernated.
MS could easily fix by flushing all file systems on hibernate and remounting
on resume. And it's too easy to forget what state the system is in. Just
disable fast startup and save the problems it causes.

"chileverde" wrote in message news:14912@public.image...

(I am fine with disabling Fast Startup, but I am wondering if having it
enabled would cause a problem with IFW as long as the user performed a
complete shut down by doing -Shut Down or Restart before booting into
an OS other than WIndows 10.)

chileverde

Post by chileverde »

Thanks.

I just learned that even if you disable fast startup, when you run a Windows upgrade, your system may be automatically reconfigured to enable fast startup, so it's important to check after the upgrade. This post says it happened after the 1709 update on some systems, and a comment says it also happened with previous upgrades:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads ... rs.398680/
Logman

Post by Logman »

IFW always notifies me when fast startup has been enabled after a major update, waiting for it to happen again when my system decides to get 1803 :roll: