TBWinRE & TBWinPE boot media best practices

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Tom__H

TBWinRE & TBWinPE boot media best practices

Post by Tom__H »

How often should I generate new recovery boot media ?

I know WinPE is obtained from the Windows ADK, so should I generate new TBWinPE boot media whenever a new ADK is released ?
Similarly,
Should I generate new TBWinRE boot media whenever I install a new build of Windows 10 ?
Should I generate new boot media whenever there's a new version of (in my case) - IFW ?
Or, having once generated TBWinPE / TBWinRE boot media, are these boot media then "good" to restore any backup?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: TBWinRE & TBWinPE boot media best practices

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

It's generally recommended to update the boot media when you update the version of IFW/IFL/IFD you're using. This allows restores (or offline backups, etc.) to be processed with that version. An example would be if you create your backups with a newer version of IFW and then try to restore with an older version in the boot media that the older version may not support the newer backup file.

From a TBWinPE/RE use standpoint, you would want to update the boot media when you update the program so your boot media stays current. It's not necessary to update when you update Windows or there's a new ADK as long as what you're using still works in your configuration. However, there may be better hardware support or desired features in the new WinPE/RE that you wouldn't have unless you updated.

Note that there is a TBLauncher option you can set to look for updated versions of the programs when it boots. Just be aware that if the update can't be performed that the older versions included in the build will be used, which may not be able to use backups created with newer versions.
Tom__H

Re: TBWinRE & TBWinPE boot media best practices

Post by Tom__H »

Thanks Paul !