Recycle bin shared?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.

Re: Recycle bin shared?

Postby Brian K » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:01 am

mashedmitten,

I don't understand.

Please....

On the BIBM desktop click Boot Edit. Select a Menu Item and click Edit. In MBR Details on the right, what are the partitions in HD 0? Does the word Hide appear to the left of any?

Do the same for the other Menu Item. Please let us know what you see. We need all partition items in MBR Details
Brian K
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Recycle bin shared?

Postby mashedmitten » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:52 am

Both say hide now to the left of the entry since I enabled that in BE.

Only the partition I'm editing shows in the HD 0. IOW, if I select part 1 and hit Edit, just it appears on HD0. If I select part 2 and Edit, only it shows. All paths and associations seem to be correct.

When in Edit for a part, both parts are available to select in the boot association dropdown so it appears everything is separate.

Booting either part, each OS part is labeled C:\ as it should be and the other isn't visible which led me to believe the parts were true hidden. Only the Recycle bin was shared by only one of the parts. No files or folders were visible that shouldn't be otherwise. Like I said, it appears sorted now. I was hoping to find the cause before going further. Now that everything is set, I'll re-apply the image just like I did and see how it flies.

Sorry if I'm not giving correct info, usually pretty good at that. :oops:
mashedmitten
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:16 pm

Re: Recycle bin shared?

Postby mashedmitten » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:18 am

To clarify, on my system, part 1 is labeled Studio and part 2 Office. Here's what it looks like in the HD table when I hit edit for each.

When I edit Studio the table says;

HD0
0 Hide Studio
1
2
3

When I edit Office, it's;

HD0
0 Hide Office
1
2
3
mashedmitten
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:16 pm

Re: Recycle bin shared?

Postby Bob Coleman » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:17 pm

mashedmitten wrote:
> To clarify, on my system, part 1 is labeled Studio and part 2 Office.
> Here's what it looks like in the HD table when I hit edit for each.
>
> When I edit Studio the table says;
>
> HD0
> 0 Hide Studio
> 1
> 2
> 3
>
> When I edit Office, it's;
>
> HD0
> 0 Hide Office
> 1
> 2
> 3

I'm not really sure what you are describing here. It looks like maybe you're saying that what you call Studio is hidden in the boot item for Studio which doesn't make sense. At least doesn't seem like it would give you what you want.

Maybe I'm getting lost here, but didn't you say you have other partitions? None of them appear in either boot item? Are they visible when you are running from one of the booted partitions?

Did you ever answer the question whether you are using limited or unlimited primaries? I'm guessing limited, but it's really important to know to understand the rest of what is being said.
Bob Coleman
 
Posts: 395
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:58 am

Re: Recycle bin shared?

Postby mashedmitten » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:16 pm

Studio is the name of both the Partition and the boot entry. All OS partitions are set to hide in Boot Edit, can't see the others booted to any one. On the Edit window for any one, it's the only one listed, no others. I did select the unlimited option for primaries.

I have everything working now, and added a third Test OS installation and all behavior is as it should be. Going to call this solved for the time being and see if it arises again. Thanks for all the help everyone! 8-)

Bob Coleman wrote:
> mashedmitten wrote:
>
>
> I'm not really sure what you are describing here. It looks like maybe you're saying
> that what you call Studio is hidden in the boot item for Studio which doesn't make
> sense. At least doesn't seem like it would give you what you want.
>
> Maybe I'm getting lost here, but didn't you say you have other partitions? None of
> them appear in either boot item? Are they visible when you are running from one of
> the booted partitions?
>
> Did you ever answer the question whether you are using limited or unlimited
> primaries? I'm guessing limited, but it's really important to know to understand the
> rest of what is being said.
mashedmitten
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:16 pm

Re: Recycle bin shared?

Postby Brian K » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:34 pm

mashedmitten,

All understood now. You are not limiting primaries and you only have one partition in each Boot Item. That's fine but the partition shouldn't be Hidden. Click Unhide. You really only need Hidden partitions when using Limited Primaries. When you boot your current Hidden OS, BIBM is unhiding them.

Make sense?
Brian K
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Recycle bin shared?

Postby mashedmitten » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:46 pm

Brian K wrote:
> mashedmitten,
>
> All understood now. You are not limiting primaries and you only have one
> partition in each Boot Item. That's fine but the partition shouldn't be
> Hidden. Click Unhide. You really only need Hidden partitions when using
> Limited Primaries. When you boot your current Hidden OS, BIBM is unhiding
> them.
>
> Make sense?

Thanks for bearing with me on this Brian, much appreciated.

We're close to a meeting of the minds, but not quite there yet. :)

I unhid them all and it still works fine. All are still hidden from other OS's. Only thing is, in any OS, Disk Mangler only shows 1 partition and the rest free space. When I used GAG, the others were listed as Unknown and showed.

The problem only appeared right after I applied 2 to 1 and was fixed after I fixed the MBR with W7 install disk. Maybe I checked a setting in the restore dialog that stuffed the MBR just for that partition.

I've re-booted this system so many times during the past week I see the Windows logo when I close my eyes. Going to give this a break and make some music.
mashedmitten
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:16 pm

Re: Recycle bin shared?

Postby Brian K » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:06 pm

mashedmitten,

>>I unhid them all and it still works fine. All are still hidden from other OS's. Only thing is, in any OS, Disk Mangler only shows 1 partition and the >>rest free space. When I used GAG, the others were listed as Unknown and showed.

That's right. When you use unlimited primaries you choose which partitions will be in the partition table for that booted item. So in your case you have one partition in the partition table and only one partition in Disk Management. I prefer unlimited primaries but if you were using limited primaries you would have a result similar to GAG. All partitions would be in the partition table and Disk Management.


>> The problem only appeared right after I applied 2 to 1 and was fixed after I fixed the MBR with W7 install disk.

Sorry, I've no idea what this means. A Win7 disk doesn't fix the MBR.
Brian K
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Recycle bin shared?

Postby Bob Coleman » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:40 pm

mashedmitten wrote:

> I unhid them all and it still works fine. All are still hidden from other OS's. Only
> thing is, in any OS, Disk Mangler only shows 1 partition and the rest free space.
> When I used GAG, the others were listed as Unknown and showed.

Yes, this is what we expect, but just to add to what Brian said, don't use Windows Disk Manager or anything else except BIBM to add or resize partitions. Windows Disk Manager and probably most everything else now thinks the non-visible partition is free space and would be perfectly happy to overwrite it with a new partition.
Bob Coleman
 
Posts: 395
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:58 am

Re: Recycle bin shared?

Postby Bob Coleman » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:50 pm

mashedmitten,

I still don't quite understand something. Back at the beginning of all this, you said:

> It's only deleted files from the first partition which is an image taken of
> the second partition that show up in the 2nd's recycle bin, not vice versa.
> The files can be from the OS or the data drive, same thing.

What is the data drive? Do you still have it in what you now think is working correctly?

I'd normally interpret the above statement to mean that each OS installation is seeing at least two partitions, itself and the "data drive". Yet you have only one partition in each boot item.

I guess the single partition in each boot item could actually be an extended partition containing at least two logical volumes, the OS and the "data dive".
Bob Coleman
 
Posts: 395
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:58 am

PreviousNext

Return to Image for DOS/Linux/Windows