Locked out during restore

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
borate

Locked out during restore

Post by borate »

New laptop with a single O/S (Win 10 1607) partition.

Installed IFW and imaged the partition to a external hard drive.

Tried to restore it with IFW 64 but it refused - "volume is locked."

Dumped the C: hive, but result was the same. No doubt it just reloaded.

Tried VSS instead of Phylock. Same.

How do I successfully restore this image?

Thanks
TAC109

Re: Locked out during restore

Post by TAC109 »

You have to load your computer from a previously prepared IFD or IFL or TBWinPE/RE medium first, to do the restore. You can't restore over a currently running system.
borate

Post by borate »

But of course. After a decade I am so used to restoring from another partition, loaded with an O/S, that the obvious didn't occur to me.

I have a DOS restore disc. Can it be copied to a USB, and boot up as it would from an optical drive?

If the BIOS is UEFI, will I first need to create another boot disc for that mode, and can that be copied to a USB as well?

The laptop doesn't have an optical drive; but a USB drive could be added. What's the best approach to getting this partition restored?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

You would need to use MakeDisk (included with IFD/IFL) to create the bootable IFD/IFL USB media (e.g. a USB flash drive). The TBWinRE boot media (uses IFW) can be created by running the TBWinPE/RE Builder program ("TBWinPE.exe" in the "tbwinre" folder of the IFW installation or the "IFW-Create Recovery Boot Disk" IFW Start Menu shortcut).

If the system is configured to boot only UEFI (likely, for a new system), you'll need to use either IFL or TBWinRE/PE. Otherwise, you would need to enable Legacy booting in the BIOS and disable Secure Boot.
borate

Re: Locked out during restore **UPDATED

Post by borate »

Loaded IFL onto a USB drive and it booted up. Slogged my way through the many options - mighty geeky for an ol' fart, but the restore did say it was successful.

Promising. However, upon rebooting: Error in file Windows/System32/Winload.efi - Error code 0000225.
I attempted a startup repair and this listed only Windows 8.1 as a target, not W10 - which was the O/S running when the file was created.

Was able to clean install W10, using an ISO. Perhaps the restore failed because there were several recovery partitions (Win 8.1 and 10)?

Now there's only C: and SYSTEM RESERVED. With those new partitions intact, C: was once again imaged to an external drive on 9/27.
With virtually identical programs installed, the .tbi file was less than half the size of the prior attempt. Hopefully the next restore will succeed.

Further insight is welcomed. Thanks for your help.