Copy IFD Image with File Explorer?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.

Copy IFD Image with File Explorer?

Postby hfletcher » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:32 pm

Can we reliably use file explorer in Win 10 (or Win 8 or 7) to copy an IFD image and then paste that image to another hdd? I ask this because it seems Terabyte's copy tool can only copy an entire drive, not a single image on a drive.
hfletcher
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:40 am

Re: Copy IFD Image with File Explorer?

Postby Brian K » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:03 pm

Sure. TeraByte Explorer and Windows (File) Explorer will Copy/Paste an image file from one HD to another.
Brian K
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Copy IFD Image with File Explorer?

Postby TeraByte Support » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:03 pm

The image file is just a file, but if you're talking about copying a single
partition, you'll just need to ensure you have simple operations disabled.
But once you start dealing with single partitions, you need to know what
you're doing. Data partitions fine, but bootable OS partitions, you may
need other options if the boot and os partitions are split.

"hfletcher" wrote in message news:12550@public.image...

Can we reliably use file explorer in Win 10 (or Win 8 or 7) to copy an IFD
image and then paste that image to another hdd? I ask this because it seems
Terabyte's copy tool can only copy an entire drive, not a single image on a
drive.

TeraByte Support
 
Posts: 2273
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Copy IFD Image with File Explorer?

Postby DrTeeth » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:50 am

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 23:03:30 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
"TeraByte Support" disturbed my
reverie and wrote:

>But once you start dealing with single partitions, you need to know what
>you're doing.

That sounds like a good idea for a section in the manual. I used to
back up my partitions singly and never had problems. If there is a
Pandora's box of possible issues it would be handy if the manual
addressed this. With an application whose purpose is to help us save
our data, such scenarios should be discussed so we could chose what
would suit us best.
--
Cheers,

DrT

"If you want to find out what is wrong
with democracy, spend five minutes with
the average voter." - Winston Churchill
DrTeeth
 
Posts: 965
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 am

Re: Copy IFD Image with File Explorer?

Postby mjnelson99 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:51 pm

One of the most important things to watch out for is if the OS & boot
files are on separate partitions.

I set my Win 7 up w/o that "feature". In the future, MS may enforce
since I have heard they want Win 7 & Win 8 to be more like Win 10.
Mary

On 9/21/2016 11:50 AM, DrTeeth wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 23:03:30 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
> "TeraByte Support"
>
> disturbed my
> reverie and wrote:
>
>> But once you start dealing with single partitions, you need to know what
>> you're doing.
>
> That sounds like a good idea for a section in the manual. I used to
> back up my partitions singly and never had problems. If there is a
> Pandora's box of possible issues it would be handy if the manual
> addressed this. With an application whose purpose is to help us save
> our data, such scenarios should be discussed so we could chose what
> would suit us best.
>
mjnelson99
 
Posts: 760
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Re: Copy IFD Image with File Explorer?

Postby DrTeeth » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:32 am

On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 14:51:09 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
MJNelson disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>One of the most important things to watch out for is if the OS & boot
>files are on separate partitions.

I have successfully managed to install *all* versions of windows from
7 to 10 without that happening
--
Cheers,

DrT

"If you want to find out what is wrong
with democracy, spend five minutes with
the average voter." - Winston Churchill
DrTeeth
 
Posts: 965
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 am


Return to Image for DOS/Linux/Windows