Can't validate or restore after making "copy" of C drive

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
joindy

Can't validate or restore after making "copy" of C drive

Post by joindy »

Made copy of C...which copied 4 sections...EFI, C-windows, WINRE, and Windows reserved partition. When went to Validate, and later Restore, it did not let me validate or restore the entire back up copy, but I had to choose 1 section...the EFI, or C windows, or WINRE etc. Then, if I chose C-Windows...I had to select only 1 file within that section. , windows, or program files, or users etc. So....I did not go any further as appears I have to enter only 1 file at a time to restore or validate. I was expecting 1 image...1 file... with 1 copy to restore...of my entire hard drive.

Also, after putting the copy on an external hard drive, the hard drive does not show under PC in file explorer. It shows under the terabyte software, but not in file explorer.

What is going on?

I had posted question yesterday on the forum which never received any response. Basically it was when you copy drive, and it does it in 4 sections...WINRE, Windows, EFI, Windows reserved....when you do another copy in the future do you just need to copy the C windows sections, or do you include the other 3?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Can't validate or restore after making "copy" of C driv

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

It sounds like you have Simple Operations mode enabled. If you want more control over the operations you need to run the program in normal mode (in Settings you can disable the Simple Operations option).

When you copy the drive you get just that -- a copy of the drive. This is not a backup image. By default, partitions are expanded to fit a larger drive. You can't validate or restore a copied drive as it's not an image backup. If you want a backup image you need to select the Backup option. You would then have the ability to restore, validate, browse, and mount the backup.

When you copy an entire disk it may be set offline if the signature/GUID isn't changed. Disk Management will show this if that's the case. Drives that are offline won't show up in Explorer. Setting the disk back online will change the signature and/or GUIDs to avoid the collision (this will very likely break booting references on the drive).

When you copy an entire disk and then want to update that disk again you would copy the entire disk again (if using Simple Operations mode) or you could just copy the desired partition (if using normal mode).
TeraByte Support

Re: Can't validate or restore after making "copy" of C drive

Post by TeraByte Support »

Copy is not a backup, it's a copy. There is nothing to validate after the
copy, you can validate during the copy (as part of the copy), once the copy
is done, you have a copy.

You should use the option to change disk signatures and guids if you'll have
both drives attached at boot or hot swap.

"joindy" wrote in message news:10473@public.image...

Made copy of C...which copied 4 sections...EFI, C-windows, WINRE, and
Windows reserved partition. When went to Validate, and later Restore, it did
not let me validate or restore the entire back up copy, but I had to choose
1 section...the EFI, or C windows, or WINRE etc. Then, if I chose
C-Windows...I had to select only 1 file within that section. , windows, or
program files, or users etc. So....I did not go any further as appears I
have to enter only 1 file at a time to restore or validate. I was expecting
1 image...1 file... with 1 copy to restore...of my entire hard drive.

Also, after putting the copy on an external hard drive, the hard drive does
not show under PC in file explorer. It shows under the terabyte software,
but not in file explorer.

What is going on?

I had posted question yesterday on the forum which never received any
response. Basically it was when you copy drive, and it does it in 4
sections...WINRE, Windows, EFI, Windows reserved....when you do another copy
in the future do you just need to copy the C windows sections, or do you
include the other 3?