New User has some questions on Windows 10 copy

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
joindy

New User has some questions on Windows 10 copy

Post by joindy »

I have new windows 10 computer and wanted to clone the new, clean hard drive. It had a C drive and D drive which was HP recovery section. I had initially tried to make a system image using windows 10 but not sure if it was successful...that is why I am trying Terbyte.
I plugged into USB a 2T external drive and selected "copy". After about 12 minutes the copy was complete1. I had expected to see 1 file..copy of C but it showed 5 items....all of which I have found info online to explain what these partitions are. 1.EFI system which was about same size as original. 2. Microsoft reserved partition which was about same size. 3. c: windows which had doubled in size from 937255 mib to 1875565 mib ...and was now shown as F {same drive letter as external drive}. 4. WINRE which was about same size. 5. Recovery {the HP restore section} which had increased in size from 15491 mib to 31000 mib.

Why did the HP Recovery partition double in size? Same with windows partition doubling in size?

If I want to copy the drive again...say in couple months after new software added and everything working well.....do I just copy the C...windows partition? I know there would be no need to copy the HP Restore partition, but do the other 3 change and should be imaged?

I would think.....I would just do an image of C only?

Thanks for your help.
Brian K

Re: New User has some questions on Windows 10 copy

Post by Brian K »

joindy,

For backup purposes you should be creating an image, not a copy. Create an Entire Drive image. It will be a single file.
Bob Coleman

Re: New User has some questions on Windows 10 copy

Post by Bob Coleman »

Brian K wrote:
> joindy,
>
> For backup purposes you should be creating an image, not a copy. Create an
> Entire Drive image. It will be a single file.

That's what I almost posted yesterday, but then I noticed that the original post referred to wanting to "clone" the drive, so I decided I didn't know what was trying to be accomplished.

Edit: Never mind. This whole thread seems to be made irrelevant by the thread at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ucf/vi ... f=4&t=2019