Validate byte-for-byte failing for SSD backup

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Skyglider

Validate byte-for-byte failing for SSD backup

Post by Skyglider »

1. Used IFW in Win7 to back up a Samsung 120 GB SSD on the motherboard SATA port-0 to a new external 3GB HDD via a USB3 PCIe card > USB3 cable > USB3 docking station. Used validate byte-for-byte comparison for verification. Got a "Byte-for-byte comparison failed" error. Tried using a shorter 3' USB3 cable and got byte-for-byte error in different place.

2. Then tried the backup using a motherboard USB2 port > USB2 cable > USB2 docking station > same 3GB HDD and got byte-for-byte verify error in a different place.

3. Then tried the backup from the SSD to an internal 1TB HDD on a motherboard SATA port-1 and got the byte-for-byte error in a different place.

4. <<< I backed up the SSD to the internal HDD using the "validate" option instead of the "validate byte-for-byte" option and it completed successfully. >>>

I recently backed up the D: 1TB spinner HDD used to hold data to the same external HDD used in step-1 above. It has a lot more data than the SSD. Used validate byte-for-byte and it completed successfully without any error. So I believe this says my 8GB of RAM and the 3 TB HDD are fine.

Looking at the posts for byte-for-byte verify errors, it seems that folks backing up SSDs are having the byte-for-byte verify problem. Why can I backup my internal 1TB spinner HDD to my external USB3 HDD fine using validate byte-for-byte fine but not my C: SSD?

The C: SSD is used for Win7 and installed programs only. It has 2 partitions as:
..... 100 MB NTFS System Reserved
..... 111.69 GB NTFS System-SSD (C:)

I used Pythlock with "Disable Trim" unchecked. (IOW, the default settings in IFW)

Any ideas to fix my verfify byte-for-byte problem? Is there something about SSDs that IFW has problems with but not spinner HDDs?

Thanks,
Skyglider
Scott

Re: Validate byte-for-byte failing for SSD backup

Post by Scott »

I used to get B-f-B failures when backing up my 512-GB SSD and using PHYLock. Forum thread on that here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1509

(Apparently BBCode doesn't work?)

I have not had an issue since switching exclusively to VSS. I also do not use the option to disable TRIM, but only because I never trust software to re-enable important system settings like that. I've been burned too many times with software (not TB software, mind) turning stuff off and then leaving it off.

B-f-B failure issues can have many causes (including buggy BIOS), so this is just a suggestion.