Compact Option?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Retrospek

Compact Option?

Post by Retrospek »

In a previous thread on here, several people suggested using Compact on the partitions to make the physical size of image smaller (by lowering the last byte on the drive to a location closer to the front).

Anyhow, I've searched IFD, IFL, and IFW, and have not seen an option to Compact the partition. Am I missing something? I even followed the instructions on the FAQ that references using Compact on Image for Linux, and have been thru all the options (including trying to do a backup), and the only thing remotely similar to Compact would be Compression, but if I'm not mistaken, that's to compress the Image, not the partition prior to making the image.

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide. :)
Brian K

Re: Compact Option?

Post by Brian K »

Retrospek,

Compact is on the second IFW screen along with Add Virtual Drive and Information. Are you using the latest versions?
Retrospek

Post by Retrospek »

With Image for DOS and Linux, I tried version 2.66, but my version of Image for Windows that is installed is a bit older (2.62a). I will try installing the newest version of IFW and give that a shot.

Thanks, Brian :)
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

In IFD it is the 5th screen. Down the bottom, F3 Compact.
Retrospek

Post by Retrospek »

Brian,

I never realized that command was down there on the bottom, thank you very much.

That will definitely come in handy, I'm sure, thanks a million. :)
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Retrospek,

It works very well. But you have to be aware of what you could be doing. As a test I compacted down "fully". There was less than 1% free space in the restored partition. Naturally the page file was severely fragmented.