Creating IFL Bootable Flash Drive

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.

Creating IFL Bootable Flash Drive

Postby userX » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:10 am

I use IFL and I normally run it by booting from a CD in order to clone or restore a system disk. It works great, much better than the other imaging software I had before, Norton Ghost.

1. I want to create the same functionality with IFL on a flash drive so that i can use it too in case my CD drive become inoperative. How do i do that, and how big does the flash drive need to be?

2. Can i still have other things on the drive besides the bootable IFL?

3. Can i customize the IFLbootable environment by adding another executable program to it?
Last edited by userX on Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
userX
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 am

Re: Creating IFL Bootable Flash Drive

Postby TeraByte Support » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:08 am

When you run makedisk the UFD will show up as an option. You can add files
to it after creating the UFD.

"userX" wrote in message news:287@public.image...

I use IFL and I normally run it by booting from a CD in order to clone or
restore a system disk. It works great, much better than the other imaging
software I had before, Norton Ghost.

1. I want to create the same functionality with IFL on a flash drive so
that i can use it too in case my CD drive were to become inoperative. How
do i do that, and how big does the flash drive need to be?

2. Can i still have other things on the drive besides the bootable IFL?

3. Can i customize the iFl bootable environment by adding another executable
program to it?

TeraByte Support
 
Posts: 2310
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Creating IFL Bootable Flash Drive

Postby DrTeeth » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:13 am

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 08:08:36 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
"TeraByte Support" disturbed my reverie
and wrote:

>When you run makedisk the UFD will show up as an option. You can add files
>to it after creating the UFD.

To OP, see my thread "IfL USB boot" for some pointers in case makedisk
does not work for you.
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose to dance
in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
DrTeeth
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 am

Re: Creating IFL Bootable Flash Drive

Postby userX » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:49 pm

i appreciate the prompt replies. i was able to create the bootable flash drive using makedisk from within windows. it proceeded without a glitch, and after rebooting it was recognized fine. i looked at the instructions for making a customized boot diisk, too, and it appeared as if i would need to do that on a linux machine, not within windows. is that right? it's no problem, i have a inux machine too, but most of my work is done on my laptop in windows. on the other hand, when i created the boot disk on the flash drive using makedisk, the machine automatically picked 'floppy' as the USB mode. that leaves a lot of unused space on the drive now, on which i suppose i could install some other programs to run. can the boot disk be removed after booting with it. i mean, is it all in ram now? thanks.
userX
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 am

Re: Creating IFL Bootable Flash Drive

Postby mjnelson99 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:37 am

I cannot answer all your questions.

However, when using IFL on an SD card, I remove the card
once I am ready to start the image. I suspect I could remove
it once the system is booted completely. Test for yourself
and find out.

I also set it to reboot automatically once the image is
completed so that is another reason to remove the card or
else it will reboot into IFL rather the OS.

As I recall, the same applies to IFD. I find IFL is a bit
faster on my computer.
Mary

On 9/17/2011 10:49 PM, userX wrote:can the boot disk be
removed after booting with it. i mean, is it all in ram
now? thanks.
mjnelson99
 
Posts: 766
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Re: Creating IFL Bootable Flash Drive

Postby userX » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:06 pm

>However, when using IFL on an SD card, I remove the card
>once I am ready to start the image. I suspect I could remove
>it once the system is booted completely. Test for yourself
>and find out.

Yes, i have to admit that i am reluctant to yank out a USB hard drive while it is in use. Just my luck it would corrupt the data on it, but i will give it a try.

>I also set it to reboot automatically once the image is
>completed so that is another reason to remove the card or
>else it will reboot into IFL rather the OS.

mine is set to reboot too, but it does not boot into the IFL device unless i allow it to during the boot process. it will boot the order i preselected in bios automatically unless i enter the device selection menu deliberately. thanks.
userX
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 am

Re: Creating IFL Bootable Flash Drive

Postby mjnelson99 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:44 am

Since I don't stay right on top of the imaging process once
the 2nd DVD+RW is inserted for validation, for me it pays to
remove the SD card ASAP.

It sounds like your situation is different.

Use your own judgement.
Mary

On 9/18/2011 8:06 PM, userX wrote:
> >However, when using IFL on an SD card, I remove the card
> >once I am ready to start the image. I suspect I could remove
> >it once the system is booted completely. Test for yourself
> >and find out.
>
> Yes, i have to admit that i am reluctant to yank out a USB hard drive while it is in use. Just my luck it would corrupt the data on it, but i will give it a try.
>
> >I also set it to reboot automatically once the image is
> >completed so that is another reason to remove the card or
> >else it will reboot into IFL rather the OS.
>
> mine is set to reboot too, but it does not boot into the IFL device unless i allow it to during the boot process. it will boot the order i preselected in bios automatically unless i enter the device selection menu deliberately. thanks.
mjnelson99
 
Posts: 766
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Re: Creating IFL Bootable Flash Drive

Postby TeraByte Support » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:46 am

Once it makes it to the menu, you can remove the USB flash drive you used to
boot IFL, everything is running from RAM.

"userX" wrote in message news:325@public.image...

Yes, i have to admit that i am reluctant to yank out a USB hard drive while
it is in use. Just my luck it would corrupt the data on it, but i will give
it a try.

TeraByte Support
 
Posts: 2310
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 3:37 pm


Return to Image for DOS/Linux/Windows