Using BING on a touch slate and ques. about 100M partition

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Next Generation

Using BING on a touch slate and ques. about 100M partition

Postby ohaya » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:38 pm

Hi,

As mentioned in a previous post, I just got a new Exopc slate, which doesn't have a physical keyboard/mouse.

I was able to boot to BING and used BING to image the Windows 7 (35GB) and Windows 8 (25GB) partitions from the 64GB SSD.

The system now has the following partitions:

100MB
35GB (Win7)
24GB (Win8)
1GB (Data)

I created the last partition by shrinking the Win8 partition using BING, and created a small 1GB partition for Data.

I currently boot into Win8, which has a graphical boot manager, which lets me choose to boot to either Win7 or Win8. I'd love to install BING, and use that as the boot manager, but since this is a slate, I don't think that there'd be a way to select which OS to boot, since the touch is not activated at that point?

I'd also like to eliminate that 100MB partition, which I think was created by the Win7 installer. Is it ok to do that? Would I need to do anything else to get the Exopc bootable after that?

Thanks,
Jim
ohaya
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Using BING on a touch slate and ques. about 100M partition

Postby TeraByte Support » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:15 pm

Didn't you say you already used it? It would depend on how they
implemented the touch, it could be through the normal mouse interface, just
boot from it and see if touch works and attach a USB keyboard if you need to
type.


"ohaya" wrote in message news:2034@public.bootitng...

Hi,

As mentioned in a previous post, I just got a new Exopc slate, which doesn't
have a physical keyboard/mouse.

I was able to boot to BING and used BING to image the Windows 7 (35GB) and
Windows 8 (25GB) partitions from the 64GB SSD.

The system now has the following partitions:

100MB
35GB (Win7)
24GB (Win8)
1GB (Data)

I created the last partition by shrinking the Win8 partition using BING, and
created a small 1GB partition for Data.

I currently boot into Win8, which has a graphical boot manager, which lets
me choose to boot to either Win7 or Win8. I'd love to install BING, and use
that as the boot manager, but since this is a slate, I don't think that
there'd be a way to select which OS to boot, since the touch is not
activated at that point?

I'd also like to eliminate that 100MB partition, which I think was created
by the Win7 installer. Is it ok to do that? Would I need to do anything
else to get the Exopc bootable after that?

Thanks,
Jim

TeraByte Support
 
Posts: 2275
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Using BING on a touch slate and ques. about 100M partiti

Postby Brian K » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:33 am

[quote="ohaya"
I'd also like to eliminate that 100MB partition, which I think was created by the Win7 installer. Is it ok to do that? [/quote]

Jim,

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=409

You can also remove the SRP using scripting in BIBM.
Brian K
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Using BING on a touch slate and ques. about 100M partiti

Postby ohaya » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:56 am

Hi,

No, maybe I wasn't clear in that earlier thread. I wasn't able to manipulate the BING interface using just the Exopc touch interface. I had to dig out a USB spare keyboard and mouse in order to do the BING imaging. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that in that earlier thread :(.

What's strange (to me) is that I *can* use the touch interface within the BIOS (i.e., to change settings in the BIOS menus) itself, but once it booted into BING, the touch interface wouldn't work. I also tried booting the slate into IFD, and the touch didn't work there either.

Jim


TeraByte Support wrote:Didn't you say you already used it? It would depend on how they
implemented the touch, it could be through the normal mouse interface, just
boot from it and see if touch works and attach a USB keyboard if you need to
type.


"ohaya" wrote in message news:2034@public.bootitng...

Hi,

As mentioned in a previous post, I just got a new Exopc slate, which doesn't
have a physical keyboard/mouse.

I was able to boot to BING and used BING to image the Windows 7 (35GB) and
Windows 8 (25GB) partitions from the 64GB SSD.

The system now has the following partitions:

100MB
35GB (Win7)
24GB (Win8)
1GB (Data)

I created the last partition by shrinking the Win8 partition using BING, and
created a small 1GB partition for Data.

I currently boot into Win8, which has a graphical boot manager, which lets
me choose to boot to either Win7 or Win8. I'd love to install BING, and use
that as the boot manager, but since this is a slate, I don't think that
there'd be a way to select which OS to boot, since the touch is not
activated at that point?

I'd also like to eliminate that 100MB partition, which I think was created
by the Win7 installer. Is it ok to do that? Would I need to do anything
else to get the Exopc bootable after that?

Thanks,
Jim
ohaya
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Using BING on a touch slate and ques. about 100M partiti

Postby DrTeeth » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:25 pm

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 05:56:19 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
ohaya disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>What's strange (to me) is that I *can* use the touch interface within the BIOS (i.e., to change settings in the BIOS menus) itself, but once it booted into BING, the touch interface wouldn't work.
It must use a USB mouse interface...sorry, couldn't resist the
temptation ;-)
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose to dance
in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
DrTeeth
 
Posts: 965
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 am

Re: Using BING on a touch slate and ques. about 100M partiti

Postby ohaya » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:17 pm

Hi DrT,

I'm not quite sure what to make of that remark?

But, anyway, for the record, and although it doesn't really solve the problem, it turns out that the Exopc has a somewhat non-documented "feature". It has a light sensor on the upper-left bezel, and that can be used to somewhat limitedly simulate a DOWN arrow/cursor and an Enter key.

Swiping across the sensor causes a Down arrow. Holding/pressing the sensor for a few seconds simulates an Enter key.

Unfortunately, from what I can tell, that's all it does, i.e., no Up arrow, no tab key, etc., so for BING usage, it's very limited.

I guess that you could use a regular USB mouse and keyboard to setup partitions and Boot items, and then only use the light sensor thing after that for actually booting, i.e., to select a Boot Item to be booted :(...

Jim



DrTeeth wrote:On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 05:56:19 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
ohaya disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>What's strange (to me) is that I *can* use the touch interface within the BIOS (i.e., to change settings in the BIOS menus) itself, but once it booted into BING, the touch interface wouldn't work.
It must use a USB mouse interface...sorry, couldn't resist the
temptation ;-)
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose to dance
in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
ohaya
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:40 pm


Return to BootIt Next Generation