Installed BING after-the-fact on Acer netbook - can't boot..

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Next Generation
DrTeeth

Re: Installed BING after-the-fact on Acer netbook - can't bo

Post by DrTeeth »

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 18:04:35 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
ohaya disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>I'm hoping that the answer is "no, not needed", because it seems that if it's on the partition, then if I ever move the partition to a different relative location on the drive or in the Boot Menu item, then I'd have to adjust both the BCD and the boot.ini?

You just have to place the XP installation in the 'correct' position
in the MBR IIRC.
--

Cheers

DrT
ohaya

Post by ohaya »

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:You could look at the boot sector and find out. Otherwise, renaming bootmgr would let you know (you should get an error that it can't be found when trying to boot it).

You do not need to run fixmbr. If you ran it you would need to reactivate BING.

You should be able to use any XP CD that will let you into the Recovery Console. Note that you can also use a Vista or Windows 7 DVD or Repair Disc. Instructions can be found in this KB article (note the instructions for XP in the Additional Information section).

Hi,

I can't seem to delete either bootmgr or \Boot. Getting 'access denied', even when I boot to Win7 and try to delete the files in the ACER-1 partition/drive...

Jim
ohaya

Post by ohaya »

What's weird is that I can rename the file and dir, but can't delete them, even in safe mode.

Jim
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

It may be enough to change the file type, whatever it is.

On 1/16/2012 9:23 PM, ohaya wrote:
> What's weird is that I can rename the file and dir, but can't delete them, even in safe mode.
>
> Jim
ohaya

Post by ohaya »

mjnelson99 wrote:It may be enough to change the file type, whatever it is.

On 1/16/2012 9:23 PM, ohaya wrote:
> What's weird is that I can rename the file and dir, but can't delete them, even in safe mode.
>
> Jim
Hi,

I guess that I'm being 'picky'. It actually boots into XP even after I renamed bootmgr to bootmgr1234, so I think it's not using the BCD. I should probably be happy with that, but I'm not :). I'd really like to clean off both the bootmgr file and the c:\Boot directory, if possible, from the XP partition.

Jim
ohaya

Post by ohaya »

Hi,

I was just able to delete the bootmgr and c:\Boot directory from the my XP partition.

Apparently, the problem I had was because XP Home has something called "Simple File Sharing" enabled, and there isn't a "normal" way to turn it off. So, what I had to do was safe boot, and then in Safe boot, I could right-click and properties, and then Advanced ==> Ownership, and then make "Administrators" the owner, instead of "Administrator".

I could then set the file and folder to "Full control", and then after that I could delete the file and folder.

Feeling better now :)...

Jim