EMBR on 2 disks or move

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Next Generation
Patosan

Re: EMBR on 2 disks or move

Post by Patosan »

Hey that's it !
All I had to do was uncheck multi-os on the EMBR and ssd XP HD1 partition and all is well.
I'd like to thank you guys heaps for your input, especially at holiday time.
It's much appreciated.
Patosan

Post by Patosan »

The ssd XP is working well though strangely when I access Disk Management it shows the ssd XP partition as C: drive, but shows the HHD XP partition as being active ... surely this is wrong ? Is this usually the case ?

After reading an article which said that you get used to ssd speed so don't appreciate it till it's not there. So recently I have tried to get the HDD XP to fire up but it doesn't. Is there something I should do to ?

Next, I was wondering how long it takes most people to create an image using BING ?
When I made an image of my HDD XP partiation, 10Gb, t took well over an hour.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Patosan wrote:The ssd XP is working well though strangely when I access Disk Management it shows the ssd XP partition as C: drive, but shows the HHD XP partition as being active ... surely this is wrong ? Is this usually the case ?
I'm not sure about this, but I don't think it really matters which partition is active if the OS partition(s) are being booted by Bing.
Patosan wrote:After reading an article which said that you get used to ssd speed so don't appreciate it till it's not there. So recently I have tried to get the HDD XP to fire up but it doesn't. Is there something I should do to ?
How did you try to get it go "fire up"? In Bing do you have boot items for both copies of XP?
Patosan wrote:Next, I was wondering how long it takes most people to create an image using BING ?
When I made an image of my HDD XP partiation, 10Gb, t took well over an hour.
That seems pretty long to me. How are you creating the image? It's been a while since I used Bing, but I think I recall that it may take much longer to create an image using the Bing boot media (CD, etc.) than using Bing installed to hard disk.
Patosan

Post by Patosan »

ACTIVE partition
I'm curious about the future if I have several os and windows is always showing the wrong one is active, it could be difficult at times to confirm which is REALLY active. I did notice that when using the ssd XP windows shows it as "system" ... guess this is the key point.

HDD XP not starting
Yes I have a boot items for both the ssd (HD1) XP and HDD (HD0) XP. I should add that when I highlight the HDD XP boot item and click boot, I don't get an error, the ssd ver starts up instead ... perhaps after trying to start the HDD ver or maybe going straight to the ssd for some reason. My intention is have the various os all on the ssd, but I'd like to iron out troubles like this first.
Also I'm moving up from a 60Gb to 120Gb ssd this week so I'd like to run from the HDD in the changeover period.
update
I seem to have solved this one ... I'm afraid to say that I hadn't checked my boot settings, somehow the HDD XP item was pointing to the ssd partition. So I am totally to blame for this ... RESOLVED !

Task times
The times I mentioned are using the installed BING, not from a cd boot BING, though I wouldn't have thought there would be much difference anyway as BING is merely giving the instructions, then it's up to the bios and pc to do the tasks.