Cannot boot from HDD (System Halted)

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Next Generation
TeraByte Support

Re: Cannot boot from HDD (System Halted)

Post by TeraByte Support »

block lists means they hard code in the sector the data is located for a
file - if the file is moved to a different location the blocks lists have to
be updated (the only time that would happen is if something defragged and
not aware of grub)

sigi

Re: Cannot boot from HDD (System Halted)

Post by sigi »

TeraByte Support(TP) wrote:

> Apparently it can under some conditions. All I can say is that I've never seen it
> happen while just running a Linux OS normally, including copying or deleting files,
> OS updates, etc. Of course if you delete and overwrite the file /boot/grub/core.img
> mentioned above, you will have a problem. Normally, there's never any reason for a
> user to do anything with that file.
>
> That file (core.img) contains the core of Grub, including the code that can read file
> systems. When Grub is installed in a partition boot sector (512 bytes), there's no
> room there for the file system code. So it can't read file systems until it finds
> core.img, which it has to find based on its physical location on the disk, which is
> stored in block lists in the boot sector. On the other hand, if Grub is installed in
> the MBR/first track, it has room to fit the file system code there, and this isn't an
> issue.

Thank you Tom for the very enlightening and more than satisfactory explanation. I think that explanation together with the subsequent posting of Sep 18 from TB support (thank you as well) represent an appropriate end to this thread, which in my mind could be declared SOLVED.