WMV Video Tutorials on a PC

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Next Generation
gigasquid

WMV Video Tutorials on a PC

Post by gigasquid »

Hi all,

So far I've tried 5 or 6 media players to try to view your BING videos and all have utterly failed. The last player, called Final Media Player, gave me an oscilloscope waveform screen of the WMV. I'm using Windows XP/SP3.

May I suggest that the creators of your video tutorials also create the same vids in different formats: FLV, MP4 etc.

I've downloaded codec sets, mpv to flash converters to no avail. It seems WMV is no longer a popular format. One of the most popular players, VideoLAN (VLC), won't touch it.

I'm ready to give up on this one and I imagine a few others have reached the same point. How about it guys?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: WMV Video Tutorials on a PC

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

What version of Windows Media Player is installed?

If you've installed many players and codecs it's possible it's trying to use the wrong one. Are you having the same problem on a different system?
gigasquid

Post by gigasquid »

I only had one player (VLC), until I tried to get these vids to play. Now I'm back to one. You don't seem very impressed by my suggestion to add one or two other formats to your collection :) Media Player v9 is as high as it will go with XP.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

VLC and WMP work with the BING videos in my WinXP.
gigasquid

Post by gigasquid »

That's strange Brian. When I try and use VLC to play any of the WMVs I get a dialog:

No suitable decoder module:
VLC does not support the audio or video format "MSS2". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Tue, 9 Jul 2013 04:50:15 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
gigasquid disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>That's strange Brian. When I try and use VLC to play any of the WMVs I get a dialog:
>
>No suitable decoder module:
>VLC does not support the audio or video format "MSS2". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.
>
I have just checked too and the vids play okay with VLC 2.0.6 and

Try the development builds of SMPlayer - in spite of being listed as
unstable - they are rock solid in my experience.
--

Cheers,

DrT

** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
** out of someone who richly deserves it.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Does your key look like this?

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\NodeCLSIDs\{95037DA1-6ED9-4B27-8CFF-9AD3DFB0B2F2}]

"AutoInsert"=dword:00000001 (1)
"Name"="WMPlayer SRSWow DMO"
"Priority"=dword:fffffffb
gigasquid

Post by gigasquid »

Problem solved. Without realizing it I had downloaded the wrong Windows Media Player. When the correct one (v11 for XP) is installed, whatever it brings with it magically fixes the WMV playback problems I had.

Those tutorials are brilliant and easily walked me through some areas where I had got stuck. Thank you TeraByte for making the vids available. Lots of good learning in those.