Linux/BSD

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
npderi

Linux/BSD

Post by npderi »

Hi everyone,

I am posting here because I wasn't too sure about how to proceed after reading the FAQ. I want to install a few Linux Distros, and FreeBSD (maybe OpenBSD to play with it and learn).

When I typically install Linux I just the installer do a simple install, as I mostly care about the services and applications on Linux. I don't know if it really creates multiple partitions or how it goes about it, but the FAQ mentions something choosing the multiple-OS partition option?

Is it safe for me to simply create one partition and let the OS figure out how to partition it with swap in mind? If not, I guess I could create two partitions in Bootit BM, but not sure about details involved here, and what I need to check. Do I also need to boot the partition/swap before trying to install Linux so both partitions are recognized during the next bootup from CD?

Sorry if these are really newbie questions.
TeraByte Support(TP)

Re: Linux/BSD

Post by TeraByte Support(TP) »

If you haven't already, you may want to look over the Recommended Installation Steps section in some of the Lnux installation KB articles. For example, this one is for Ubuntu: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=279

Even though it's specific to Ubuntu, the first 6 steps should answer most of your questions. Those 6 steps are pretty standard as a starting point for most Linux installs, with BIBM used as boot manager.