Overwirting EMBR KB article

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal.

Overwirting EMBR KB article

Postby DrTeeth » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:40 pm

Just recovered from the overwriting of my EMBR for the nth time.

I did have a look at the KB article. The problem is, when undeleting
the partitions, the labels are lost for all except NTFS partitions,
which left me with 5 similarly sized and unnamed Linux partitions to
try to unravel. It was easier to restore by EMBR and Linux partitions
from a backup.
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
DrTeeth
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 am

Re: Overwirting EMBR KB article

Postby TAC109 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:54 pm

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 13:40:01 PST, DrTeeth
wrote:

>Just recovered from the overwriting of my EMBR for the nth time.
>
>I did have a look at the KB article. The problem is, when undeleting
>the partitions, the labels are lost for all except NTFS partitions,
>which left me with 5 similarly sized and unnamed Linux partitions to
>try to unravel. It was easier to restore by EMBR and Linux partitions
>from a backup.

Some ideas:-
Make them different sizes and make a note of what is in where (by
size).

Make the desktops unique in the different OS's. Booting the partition
will then show you which OS. Also helps in normal running to confirm
that you have booted the OS you intended to boot!
TAC109
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:41 pm

Re: Overwirting EMBR KB article

Postby TeraByte Support » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:20 pm

edit file for ext2/3/4 is available.

"Tom Cole" wrote in message news:4373@public.bootitbm...

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 13:40:01 PST, DrTeeth

wrote:

>Just recovered from the overwriting of my EMBR for the nth time.
>
>I did have a look at the KB article. The problem is, when undeleting
>the partitions, the labels are lost for all except NTFS partitions,
>which left me with 5 similarly sized and unnamed Linux partitions to
>try to unravel. It was easier to restore by EMBR and Linux partitions
>from a backup.

Some ideas:-
Make them different sizes and make a note of what is in where (by
size).

Make the desktops unique in the different OS's. Booting the partition
will then show you which OS. Also helps in normal running to confirm
that you have booted the OS you intended to boot!

TeraByte Support
 
Posts: 2324
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Overwirting EMBR KB article

Postby DrTeeth » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:36 pm

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 15:20:00 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
"TeraByte Support" disturbed my
reverie and wrote:

>edit file for ext2/3/4 is available.

Could you please expand on this a bit more? I haven't a clue what you
mean, sorry.
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
DrTeeth
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 am

Re: Overwirting EMBR KB article

Postby DrTeeth » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:40 pm

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 13:54:54 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
Tom Cole disturbed my reverie and
wrote:

>Make them different sizes and make a note of what is in where (by
>size).
Good idea, thanks. But using restore will make me backup more often
and that is a good thing.
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
DrTeeth
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 am

Re: Overwirting EMBR KB article

Postby TAC109 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:22 pm

On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 12:36:07 PST, DrTeeth
wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 15:20:00 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
>"TeraByte Support"
>
> disturbed my
>reverie and wrote:
>
>>edit file for ext2/3/4 is available.
>
>Could you please expand on this a bit more? I haven't a clue what you
>mean, sorry.

I took this to mean that you can browse each partition with the BIBM
editor, and identify the partition by the contents. You could have a
uniquely named dummy file in the root of the partition for this
purpose.
TAC109
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:41 pm

Re: Overwirting EMBR KB article

Postby DrTeeth » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:15 pm

On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 13:22:02 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
Tom Cole disturbed my reverie and
wrote:

>I took this to mean that you can browse each partition with the BIBM
>editor, and identify the partition by the contents. You could have a
>uniquely named dummy file in the root of the partition for this
>purpose.

Oo, I'll check that out. That would be **perfect** and so elegant.
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
DrTeeth
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 am

Re: Overwirting EMBR KB article

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:36 am

One thing I try to do is go into windows disk management and bring up the view of the drive. I then take a screen shot of that and save it as a jpg along with my system images so it is easy to "remember" where things were and how big they were if the drive leaves town for greener pastures. I often use zero length file names to identify partitions etc - they make life easier when you shoot yourself in the foot (I've found steel toed shoes don't help)

mikey
gpsmikey
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 6:19 pm
Location: Kirkland, WA, USA, Earth

Re: Overwirting EMBR KB article

Postby DrTeeth » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:04 pm

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 08:36:42 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
gpsmikey disturbed my reverie and wrote:

> I often use zero length file names to identify partitions etc - they make life easier when you shoot yourself in the foot (I've found steel toed shoes don't help)

I'm going to get this organised...sounds like a plan.
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
DrTeeth
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 am


Return to BootIt Bare Metal