Win 10 Boot Drive Not Drive C - Best solution?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Ambertus

Win 10 Boot Drive Not Drive C - Best solution?

Post by Ambertus »

I think I need to boot Windows 10 1603 from a hard drive instead of from my SSD RAID 0 array in order to successfully update to the Fall Creator's version 1709. The update always fails when I boot to that RAID 0 array, and my guess is that Windows Update is choking on the fact that the system was booted from that array.

So I copied / backed up the system to a standard 2TB SATA hard drive to see if that worked. I changed the disk to EMBR and installed BootIt BM v1.46 there, and I ensured that the "Swap" option (as well as Default) was enabled. But when it booted up, the system drive letter was NOT "C:", thus it was a disaster because the drivers and the like were all on a different drive.

The only thing I could think of to solve this problem was to run the SetWinDL.tbs script. It's still running was I post this (it understandably takes a long time to search and change the registry).

My question is: Is there a better way? Why do you think it didn't set the drive letter to "C" in the first place? Did I do something wrong?

Thanks!

Background: Like a very large group of others who cannot successfully update to the Fall Creator's update (to 1703), none of the dozen suggested solutions have worked for me. I get an error message from Windows Update complaining that it could not automatically uninstall the driver(s) for the "Dell Storage Manager". But all my computers are self-built and certainly have and had no Dell hardware or software components. And nowhere on my system does the driver in question exist. Nonetheless I ran the Dell filter uninstaller, which reported success, but of course made no difference at all.

Then I learned that the message is a lie; that what it really meant is that there's some driver that has some kind of name mismatch. Since that's nearly useless info (I mean, WHICH driver?), it finally dawned on me that maybe the problem's with the RAID 0 array.
Ambertus

Re: Win 10 Boot Drive Not Drive C - Best solution?

Post by Ambertus »

I figured it out -- and once again, it was "Pilot Error". Although everything described in my OP was right, there was a step of major importance that I neglected: Going in to the BIOS and changing the SATA configuration from RAID back to AHCI. Once I did that and double-checked the BCD and boot menu using BooIt BM, it booted correctly to the new standard hard drive, with drive letter C: set correctly.

The only question I have left is what to do about the SetWinDL.tbs procedure I had initiated. I went to all the trouble of changing Ease of Access into a command prompt, enabling the Administrator account, changing its password so that I could do what the script informed me I MUST do, which was to make sure my first log on afterwards was to the Administrator account to complete the registry changes.

Question: Is it really necessary to use the Administrator account or would a user account with administrator privileges do as well? I suspect the former -- that it must be the actual Administrator account.

Thanks

ETA: By the way, changing to a standard hard drive and the hours is took to get there was IN VAIN! The Creators Update STILL failed! :(