MBR to EMBR back to MBR

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
mashedmitten

MBR to EMBR back to MBR

Post by mashedmitten »

On one of my systems, when I first used BIBM, I had converted my data HDD to EMBR and back to MBR. I now have the EMBR entry showing on the 2nd HDD. Is it safe to just delete the entry or will it stuff the partition table along the way?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: MBR to EMBR back to MBR

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

When you say "EMBR entry" do you mean an old EMBR partition is showing or do you mean there's an EMBRM partition. If it's an EMBRM partition and it's not the one being used for BIBM then you could delete it. I assume the disk shows correctly as the MBR type.
mashedmitten

Post by mashedmitten »

Entry says MBR0/ Partition/ entire drive size. Disk is MBR.

There are no current issues except it bugs me seeing the entry there.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Are you sure that's not the data partition (assuming it's using the entire drive)? If you browse the partition, what's on it (you can use "Edit File" in Partition Work)?

The partition sounds like a default volume name was used. The "Use Volume Label" option in Settings controls which label is used. Is this option enabled? What label shows for that partition in Windows?

Can you post a screenshot of what it's showing?
mashedmitten

Post by mashedmitten »

Here's what I see in Part Work and Boot Edit for an OS partition.

Well, so much for that, file's too big to upload. I really dislike this site. More wrong with it than right. :evil:

Was hoping not to have to back everything up from the data disk in order to try this. I have important data backed up elsewhere, but not in IFD format. All because my file is over by a couple of KB. Idiotic quoting on this forum wastes more space than anything yet a lousy pic is too much to take. No links to the KB or main site. And the beat goes on... :roll:

I love the software. The company, not so much. This forum, not at all. :x

I'll figure it out myself, knew I was expecting too much when I figured a simple question would get a simple answer. Feel like I'm dealing with India. :?

As much as I hate sounding like a whiner, I hate those that make me sound that way even more.
TeraByte Support(PP)

I wouldn't want you to delete something that shouldn't be deleted -- just trying to make sure of what's actually there.

Did you look at the volume label option in case it was just displaying the wrong label?

You could create a PartInfo report and paste it. partinfg.exe is installed with IFW or partinfo can be run from a terminal when booted to IFL.

Another detailed listing can be created using IFW or IFL. For example, when booted to IFL, open a terminal and run "imagel -l --all" at the prompt. If you use IFW you would need to redirect the output (e.g. imagew64 /l /all > partitionlisting.txt).
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Seems to work.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (86.47 KiB) Viewed 7293 times
mashedmitten

Post by mashedmitten »

Don't have IFW installed, took pics from Maint.

Like I said, I'll figure it out myself. Would have been easier than this route to begin with.

Consider this closed.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

mashedmitten wrote:

> I'll figure it out myself, knew I was expecting too much when I figured a
> simple question would get a simple answer.

Sorry mate, but it wasn't a simple question.
mashedmitten

Post by mashedmitten »

I switched an MBR disk to EMBR and back and got this entry on the data disk, nothing else. No boxes checked, no full moon during a month ending in 'Y' or anything. Seems simple to me. :idea: