BIBM and UEFI/GPT

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Bob Coleman

Re: BIBM and UEFI/GPT

Post by Bob Coleman »

I don't see any CSM.

This is no longer an issue for me, but as an academic exercise and in the spirit of feedback, I tried the conversion again with chgdtype.tbs and it was unsuccessful again.

As I previously reported, my conversion was successful and working.

Without making any BIOS changes, I restored a full disk image from when the disk was GPT. It worked fine.

Still with no BIOS changes, I went through the chgdtype.tbs conversion again. The result: a blank screen with a blinking cursor when trying to boot after the conversion was complete.

Again with no BIOS changes, I restored a full disk image of the previously successfully converted disk. Result: Fully working system.

There seems to be either something wrong with chgdtype.tbs or the way I'm using it.

All my conversions, both successful and unsuccessful have been GPT to MBR. I further converted the successful conversion from MBR to EMBR as part of BIBM installation.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Could you post the specifications of the system, the options you used with chgdtype.tbs, and the partitions on the GPT disk? Maybe it would point to something.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

[attachment=0]Select the Partition to Mount-2017-05-15 19-42-24.jpg[/attachment]For system specifications, see https://support.hp.com/za-en/product/HP ... c05115048/ .

Regarding the partitions on the GPT disk, will the following TBIMount listing of the partitions in a full disk image of the GPT disk suffice? At this point I no longer have the disk in GPT mode though I could restore the image if necessary.

[attachment=0]Select the Partition to Mount-2017-05-15 19-42-24.jpg[/attachment]

I deleted the Backups and WinRE partitions before starting the conversion.

As for options used with chgetype.tbs, I don't recall using any unless you mean the choices offered via GUI when running chgdtype.tbs .

From memory, I selected "Convert a physical disk" then "Delete EFI system partition" and "Delete Microsoft reserved partition". As can be seen from the included image, [attachment=0]Select the Partition to Mount-2017-05-15 19-42-24.jpg[/attachment]that and the previous deletion of Backups and WinRE left four partitions to be converted.

I don't recall making any additional choices.
Attachments
Select the Partition to Mount-2017-05-15 19-42-24.jpg
Select the Partition to Mount-2017-05-15 19-42-24.jpg (31.84 KiB) Viewed 6588 times
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

this can be related to compressed files which the next version of tbosdt can
handle, so be interested if next version does it.

"TeraByte Support (PP)" wrote in message news:13788@public.bootitbm...

Could you post the specifications of the system, the options you used with
chgdtype.tbs, and the partitions on the GPT disk? Maybe it would point to
something.

Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

OK, I'll try to keep this brief without detailing all the steps I went through to come to the conclusion below.

At this point, suffice it to say that apparently the GPT disk in a "factory reset" state converts correctly while a GPT disk containing a Windows partition that evolved from the "factory reset" state but was significantly updated seems to cause conversion to fail even though chgdtype.tbs reports that it was successful.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Fri, 12 May 2017 16:26:17 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
Bob Coleman disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>I'm nearly resigned to the fact that I'll have to live with GPT and no multi-booting on this system

That is so totally unacceptable to me, that it is stopping me from
upgrading. I really could not do without BIBM as my boot manager.
--
Cheers,

DrT

"If you want to find out what is wrong
with democracy, spend five minutes with
the average voter." - Winston Churchill
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

DrTeeth wrote:
> On Fri, 12 May 2017 16:26:17 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
> Bob Coleman disturbed my reverie and wrote:
>
> >I'm nearly resigned to the fact that I'll have to live with GPT and no
> multi-booting on this system
>
> That is so totally unacceptable to me, that it is stopping me from
> upgrading. I really could not do without BIBM as my boot manager.

It's also out of date since I finally got the disk converted.

> --
> Cheers,
>
> DrT
>
> "If you want to find out what is wrong
> with democracy, spend five minutes with
> the average voter." - Winston Churchill
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

DrTeeth wrote:

> That is so totally unacceptable to me, that it is stopping me from
> upgrading. I really could not do without BIBM as my boot manager.
> --

One of the reasons for using GPT disks is the ability to boot an OS on a HD larger than 2 TB. But many of us have our OS on SSDs smaller than 2 TB. If the SSD is a MBR disk we don't have Secure Boot but so what. I'll continue to have my multiple OS on a MBR disk as the advantages (for me) outweigh the disadvantages.
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

Doesn't GPT allow more than 4 partitions that MBR does not?
Mary

On 5/17/2017 7:03 PM, Brian K wrote:
> DrTeeth wrote:
>
>> That is so totally unacceptable to me, that it is stopping me from
>> upgrading. I really could not do without BIBM as my boot manager.
>> --
>
> One of the reasons for using GPT disks is the ability to boot an OS on a HD larger than 2 TB. But many of us have our OS on SSDs smaller than 2 TB. If the SSD is a MBR disk we don't have Secure Boot but so what. I'll continue to have my multiple OS on a MBR disk as the advantages (for me) outweigh the disadvantages.
>
>
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

I should have said EMBR disk, not MBR disk.