Restore boot menu after Windows 10 "takeover"

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
timg11

Restore boot menu after Windows 10 "takeover"

Post by timg11 »

I have a system that uses BIBM to dual boot between Ubuntu and Windows 10. I did a clean re-install of Windows 10 into its partition.
After doing that, Windows bypassed BIBM and booted directly. I booted to BIBM on a USB stick and set the BIBM partition to active and rebooted.
Then the system booted into BIBM, and asked to reactiveate BIBM. I said yes.

Now when I boot, BIBM goes directly to partition work and never displays the boot menu.
The boot menu is still available on the BIBM desktop, and correctly links Ubuntu and Windows 10 to the correct partitions.

How do I get BIBM to display the boot menu again when starting up?
Bob Coleman

Re: Restore boot menu after Windows 10 "takeover"

Post by Bob Coleman »

After installing Windows 10, all you should have done is boot the BIBM USB stick and selected "Reactivate BIBM.

When you create the BIBM USB stick, in Boot Options, you have to choose either Normal or Partition Work.

This is a somewhat educated guess, but I think you have somehow ended up in the situation that would have resulted from choosing Partition Work.

I seem to recall that this can be changed from Settings in the installed BIBM, but I don't think I've ever done it and can't conveniently look for the option at the moment.

Alternatively, you can, of course, reinstall BIBM, but I don't know if that would wipe out your current environment, particularly Boot Items.
timg11

Post by timg11 »

I have looked through the settings, but I can't find anything to cause it to start to the Boot Menu instead of Partition Work.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Check the bootitbm.ini file for the "StartAt=2" option. Remove it if it's there (page 76 of the manual).
timg11

Post by timg11 »

That was it - Thank you!