Converting BIBM-non recognized GPT disk to MBR with TBOSDTS

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Eric

Re: Converting BIBM-non recognized GPT disk to MBR with TBOS

Post by Eric »

You need version "Pro for bootit" and not just "Pro".
Brian K put the link just a few message ago.
sigi

Post by sigi »

Eric,
I downloaded the product from Brian's link now. But I beg your indulgence if I ask you just for my own understanding what the difference of the intended purpose of this download is as against my Terabyte OSD Tool Suite Pro (installed with the purchased IFW).

Additional question: If I install the new product and thereafter create a new TBWinRE-CD, will its TBLauncher then have two different items named "TeraByte OSD Tool (plus a differentiating name component)"?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

The TBOSDT Pro for Boot It is included with BootIt BM and includes partitioning abilities (abilities needed by the chgdtype script). The standard Pro version is included with IFW and does not include partitioning abilities.

You can install or just unzip the TBOSDT Pro for BootIt download. Run tbosdtw.exe or tbosdtw64.exe (in win folder) and enter your license key when prompted). Then exit it.

When creating the updated TBWinRE boot media, start TBWinPE/RE Builder and go into Settings. On the Paths tab set the TBOSDT path to the folder with the TBOSDT Pro for BootIt installation or unzipped files. Then create the TBWinRE boot media. TBLauncher will just have the one TBOSDT item and the regular scripts (TBOSDT Pro for BootIt takes the place of the Pro version).
sigi

Post by sigi »

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote (on Sep 26, 2015 9:26 pm)
> 1. KB 604 still applies. chgdtype can be run from BIBM, but it can also be
> run from Windows, TBWinRE/PE, and Linux. In your case, I assumed you would
> run it from your other booted Windows.
snip

You indicated that it might be preferable but not imperative to run chgdtype in Windows from another disk than the one to be converted to MBR. In my case it would mean running it from within Win7, which is installed on the SSD. Do I interpret your above quote correctly?

When running it from within Windows, should I terminate any running applications (especially any protection software like Windows Defender or WinPatrol) in advance?

As concerns running the script from TBWinRE, do I have to create the TBWinRE-CD from within an OS that is installed on the disk to be converted or is it irrelevant on which disk the CD is created provided "TeraByte OS Deployment Tool Suite Pro for BootIt V1.61a" is installed or unzipped to a folder there?
TeraByte Support(PP)

The disk being converted can't be in use. You can't convert the disk of the booted Windows system or a disk that Windows has a lock on that it won't release. If your multi-boot system allows you to boot into another installation of Windows that is separate from the disk being converted you can do the conversion from there. Otherwise, you would need to boot to something else (e.g. TBWinRE/PE, BIBM, etc.). My understanding on your system was that the Windows 7 drive booted independently from the GPT disk.

As for running the script in Windows, I don't think you should need to disable any security software or settings. You are not modifying the booted system.

In most cases, any normal TBWinRE build will work. As long as it boots the system and you can run TBOSDT the conversion shouldn't be affected.
sigi

Post by sigi »

I am pursuing KB 604 now.

Step1 has been completed successfully. I can see winre.wim in the list of files. Its size is 324 MB.

When I went through Step 2 in my mind, it occurred to me that you should perhaps reword this step in KB 604: In Step 1 the reader booted an OS that is on the disk to be converted. In Step 2 he must not be on that disk because it then would be locked by Windows and could not be converted.

I propose that you insert in Step 2 after the Words "In Windows" and "In Linux" something like the following words in brackets: "(it must be an installation on a disk other than the one to be converted)". This may be self-evident to experts, but to non-experts it might be helpful and to experts perhaps a useful reminder.

---------------------------------------------

Now I am back in the Chapter "Before you begin".

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
snip
> For which partitions to delete, it depends on which you want to keep most.
> Since you have a backup image of the drive in it's original state there
> probably isn't any reason to keep the OEM Recovery partition on the disk
> (it wouldn't work after converted anyway). If you don't care if you have a
> separate WinRE partition it can be removed (WinRE would end up on the
> Windows partition when enabled). From the listing, what I would keep would
> be partitions 4, 5, & 6 or just 5 & 6.
snip

You referred therein to the fourth indent "OEM Windows 8" of KB 580, which of course is not identical with my partition scheme. Since the latter is in German language (cf. the Attachments of my first posting) I cannot unequivocally associate your partition names with mine. However, I detected in the meantime the English partition names of my partition scheme in my booted TBWinRE and would like to ask you to adapt your above quote to this parttion scheme.
Attachments
sigi partition scheme in English.jpg
sigi partition scheme in English.jpg (149.15 KiB) Viewed 11014 times
TeraByte Support(PP)

Your suggestion for Step 2 has been noted.

For the partitions, they would be:
01 - Recovery partition (most likely original WinRE)
02 - EFI System partition
03 - Microsoft Reserved partition
04 - OEM Partition
05 - Windows partition
06 - Recovery partition (created with Windows 8.1 update)
07 - OEM Recovery/Factory Restore partition

With this configuration you could delete 01, 04, 06, and 07 before doing the conversion (keep EFI System, Microsoft Reserved, and Boot). After the conversion you would have either just the Windows partition (Boot) or the Windows partition and a System Reserved partition (depending on your choice).
sigi

Post by sigi »

Preparing in mind the deletion of the special partitions you indicated, I read http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ucf/vi ... 5&start=10 because I thought there might be relevant points. You (TeraByte Support(PP)) had a thirteen steps instruction there for getting rid of the 350MB partition. I noticed that in this thread "reagentc /disable" (Step 4) came well ahead of deleting the WinRE partition.

In KB 604 you discuss deleting special partitions (cf. fifth indent) under the heading "Before you begin", thus implying that deleting partions comes before "reagentc /disable". Please confirm what comes first. (Perhaps KB 604 needs another adaptation to better reflect the sequence of actions?)
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

If you're planning on using BIBM, just run chgdtype.tbs and change to a
EMBR. Then install BIBM, if you need to revert back, run chgdtype.tbs and
go back to gpt.

"sigi" wrote in message news:10362@public.bootitbm...

Preparing in mind the deletion of the special partitions you indicated, I
read

[
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1985&start=10
](http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ucf/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1985&start=10)

because I thought there might be relevant points. You (TeraByte Support(PP))
had a thirteen steps instruction there for getting rid of the 350MB
partition. I noticed that in this thread "reagentc /disable" (Step 4) came
well ahead of deleting the WinRE partition.

In KB 604 you discuss deleting special partitions (cf. fifth indent) under
the heading "Before you begin", thus implying that deleting partions comes
before "reagentc /disable". Please confirm what comes first. (Perhaps KB 604
needs another adaptation to better reflect the sequence of actions?)

sigi

Post by sigi »

I beg your pardon if I am insisting.

You obviously prefer another approach than Paul Purviance. He referred me to KB 604 (which by no means disregards reference to EMBR) and discussed and advised me willingly and in detail on how to delete partitions prior to conversion to (E)MBR. I would prefer to pursue that path and not just skip the last postings by following your shortcut.

May I invite Paul to comment on my last posting or is he on holiday?