Can BIBM *completely* replace Windows 7 Boot Manager?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Ambertus

Can BIBM *completely* replace Windows 7 Boot Manager?

Post by Ambertus »

Although I've been using BIBM and its predecessors for years now (and I couldn't possibly have lived without it - thanks, Terabyte!), I haven't had to deal much with the nasty Windows Vista/7/8 boot manager, and it's driving me crazy!

I've just finished home-building a new high-end Windows 7 Pro 64-bit workstation, but the new (to me) UEFI / GPT / Windows Boot Manager combo has confused me more than I'd prefer to admit :oops:

But instead of a long back-story, I'd just like to ask the title question: Can the Windows 7 boot manager be *COMPLETELY* replaced by BIBM in this new UEFI Windows 7 world? If so, how do I do that, please?

As a second but related question, I've tried a simple install of the most recent release (as of this date) of BIBM into the new system, but when I tried to boot I got "causeway error 09". I've read about it here on the forum, but I'm afraid I'm still unenlightened.

What do you think about both questions?

New system details: OS: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit; Mobo: ASUS Z87-A; RAM: 16GB G.SKILL PC-2400; Graphics: nVidia GTX 750; Main boot disk: RAID 0 array of two WD VelociRaptor 10K RPM disks
novice

Re: Can BIBM *completely* replace Windows 7 Boot Manager?

Post by novice »

As far as I know Ambertus, if your boot partition is GPT, you will not be able to use BIBM as your boot manager.

Wish you the best,
Bernard
Ambertus

Post by Ambertus »

Thanks for your reply, Bernard!

I've already decided that my boot drive and backup will ALWAYS be and remain standard MBR disks.

But even in that case, can BIBM *completely* replace the Windows 7 boot manager? What I mean by *completely* is that I'd like for it to NEVER show up again.

What do you think?
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

you need the kernel loader for the OS, but it doesn't need to show up - You
booted Win7 and it would just go to Win7.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=592

"Ambertus" wrote in message news:7653@public.bootitbm...

Thanks for your reply, Bernard!

I've already decided that my boot drive and backup will ALWAYS be and remain
standard MBR disks.

But even in that case, can BIBM *completely* replace the Windows 7 boot
manager? What I mean by *completely* is that I'd like for it to NEVER show
up again.

What do you think?