Multi Boot WinXP 64 bit and win8 64 bit Is it possible?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal.

Multi Boot WinXP 64 bit and win8 64 bit Is it possible?

Postby Jorge » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:52 am

Hello everyone,
I have been using Boot Next generation for 5 years booting between Windows Home 32bit and Windows XP 64 bit. Never had issues.

Today I am trying to do something similar by Creating a multi boot system between Windows XP 64bit (isntalled) and Windows 8 64bit (unistalled). Yes I am skipping Win7.

This is what I have done so far:
1. I upgraded from BING to BIBM
2. I wipped out the old Win Home 32bit.
3. I have a Raid 0 configuration and created a new partition for win 8 of 200Gb, Win XP 64 will remain in its current active partition.
4. I have a smaller partition of free space just in case is needed of 68Gb
5. I have changed BIOS setting to support booting in legacy BIOS mode
6. I am following Terabyte's link: www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=580
7. I have a Win8 64bit installation disk ready.
8. I have BIBM in an USB drive to repair it just in case
9. Anything else that I am leaving behind before proceeding?


Thanks
Jorge
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:57 am

Re: Multi Boot WinXP 64 bit and win8 64 bit Is it possible?

Postby Jorge » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:38 am

Correction,
On step 5 I stated that I already changed the BIOS setting to enable Legacy Mode. Well I am still trying to figure out how to do that since The BIOS does not let me do it. The option for Legacy mode appears dimmed and disabled with and X to the side. As I read through the manual it says that when Disable is shown is because I installed an Operating system in Native Mode.

Well, so my next question is:
Can I change my current Win XP 64 that seems to be installed in native mode to a Legacy mode? Is this something possible at all?

or
I need to erase this current active partition to enable Legacy mode?
Jorge
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:57 am

Re: Multi Boot WinXP 64 bit and win8 64 bit Is it possible?

Postby Jorge » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:24 pm

Update,
Well I was able to install Windows 8 in the specified partition. I reactivated BIBM and able to choose which Operating System to boot. but...

Problems found:
1) None of the SATA Hard Drives connected to the computer are recognized by Win 8.
2) After trying to boot from the old Win XP 64bit an error appears: <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Please re-install a copy of the above file

Any help in how to re-install this file is mostly appreciated.

In the mean time I will try to install the file by using Windows XP 64bit installation disk.
Jorge
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:57 am

Re: Multi Boot WinXP 64 bit and win8 64 bit Is it possible?

Postby TeraByte Support(PP) » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:55 pm

Did you double-check each boot item to make sure the correct partitions were being loaded for each OS? Also, check that the correct partition is being set active (booting). If XP was hidden (or not loaded into the MBR) when Windows 8 was installed it shouldn't have messed with its booting files.

When you say that Windows 8 doesn't see any of the SATA hard drives, do you mean that it doesn't see the partitions or that it doesn't see the drives at all? Maybe drivers need installed? Also, if Windows 8 is booting up then it must be seeing the drive it's using (RAID 0 using SATA drives ?).
Paul Purviance
TeraByte Support
TeraByte Support(PP)
 
Posts: 1089
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:51 pm

Re: Multi Boot WinXP 64 bit and win8 64 bit Is it possible?

Postby Jorge » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:56 pm

Update 2,
hello all and very thanks to terabyte support.

Well things things didn't go as planned.
I double check in BIBM if I had both partitions set as active and yes they were. I actually shutdown XP64 right before inserting win8 installation disk.
WinXP64 partition had to be erased according to my motherboard's manufacturer, because it was working in native mode not legacy. This caused several thousands of dollars in software loss...
After installation of Win8-64bit was completed 2 internal Hard Disks of 2TB each are still not recognized by Win8, the reason still unclear...
the 2TB Hard Disks are not even recognized by win8 and the only suggestion from the motherboard manufacturer is that their partitions are not set to run in legacy mode either even though they are not set to boot but only for data storage, which implies that they will also have to be erased... this I can not afford.

Sad decisions...

1. I will longer have a dual boot system because every 6 to 8 years there might be a system configuration change and who knows if what ever you are setting up right now will work later.
2. Now the project has turned to a desperate rescue of the 2 major backup drives I have, I thought that loosing the data of 2 drives simultaneously was very unlikely, it was not.
3. Even though BIBM is a very useful and powerful utility it fails on preventing that disasters like this happen. Disaster as letting win8 installation corrupt XP64 active partition. I will no longer be using BIBM. I will boot directly to the OS.

It has been a pleasure sharing this project, logging off.
Jorge
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:57 am

Re: Multi Boot WinXP 64 bit and win8 64 bit Is it possible?

Postby Brian K » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:27 pm

Jorge,

Is Native mode the same as Legacy mode?
Brian K
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Multi Boot WinXP 64 bit and win8 64 bit Is it possible?

Postby TeraByte Support » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:06 pm

Just boot into BIBM and look at the drive to see what's on it. If you see
free space, use undelete, if it's there, then just included it in your boot
item or change the disk type to mbr or gpt. See the first quick link on the
BIBM support page.


"Jorge" wrote in message news:6687@public.bootitbm...

Update 2,
hello all and very thanks to terabyte support.

Well things things didn't go as planned.
I double check in BIBM if I had both partitions set as active and yes they
were. I actually shutdown XP64 right before inserting win8 installation
disk.
WinXP64 partition had to be erased according to my motherboard's
manufacturer, because it was working in native mode not legacy. This caused
several thousands of dollars in software loss...
After installation of Win8-64bit was completed 2 internal Hard Disks of 2TB
each are still not recognized by Win8, the reason still unclear...
the 2TB Hard Disks are not even recognized by win8 and the only suggestion
from the motherboard manufacturer is that their partitions are not set to
run in legacy mode either even though they are not set to boot but only for
data storage, which implies that they will also have to be erased... this I
can not afford.

Sad decisions...

1. I will longer have a dual boot system because every 6 to 8 years there
might be a system configuration change and who knows if what ever you are
setting up right now will work later.
2. Now the project has turned to a desperate rescue of the 2 major backup
drives I have, I thought that loosing the data of 2 drives simultaneously
was very unlikely, it was not.
3. Even though BIBM is a very useful and powerful utility it fails on
preventing that disasters like this happen. Disaster as letting win8
installation corrupt XP64 active partition. I will no longer be using BIBM.
I will boot directly to the OS.

It has been a pleasure sharing this project, logging off.

TeraByte Support
 
Posts: 2275
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Multi Boot WinXP 64 bit and win8 64 bit Is it possible?

Postby mjnelson99 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:29 pm

Does having 2 partitions marked active at once create problems?
Mary

On 11/4/2013 5:06 PM, TeraByte Support wrote:
> Just boot into BIBM and look at the drive to see what's on it. If you see
> free space, use undelete, if it's there, then just included it in your boot
> item or change the disk type to mbr or gpt. See the first quick link on the
> BIBM support page.
>
>
> "Jorge" wrote in message news:6687@public.bootitbm...
>
> Update 2,
> hello all and very thanks to terabyte support.
>
> Well things things didn't go as planned.
> I double check in BIBM if I had both partitions set as active and yes they
> were. I actually shutdown XP64 right before inserting win8 installation
> disk.
> WinXP64 partition had to be erased according to my motherboard's
> manufacturer, because it was working in native mode not legacy. This caused
> several thousands of dollars in software loss...
> After installation of Win8-64bit was completed 2 internal Hard Disks of 2TB
> each are still not recognized by Win8, the reason still unclear...
> the 2TB Hard Disks are not even recognized by win8 and the only suggestion
> from the motherboard manufacturer is that their partitions are not set to
> run in legacy mode either even though they are not set to boot but only for
> data storage, which implies that they will also have to be erased... this I
> can not afford.
>
> Sad decisions...
>
> 1. I will longer have a dual boot system because every 6 to 8 years there
> might be a system configuration change and who knows if what ever you are
> setting up right now will work later.
> 2. Now the project has turned to a desperate rescue of the 2 major backup
> drives I have, I thought that loosing the data of 2 drives simultaneously
> was very unlikely, it was not.
> 3. Even though BIBM is a very useful and powerful utility it fails on
> preventing that disasters like this happen. Disaster as letting win8
> installation corrupt XP64 active partition. I will no longer be using BIBM.
> I will boot directly to the OS.
>
> It has been a pleasure sharing this project, logging off.
>
>
mjnelson99
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Re: Multi Boot WinXP 64 bit and win8 64 bit Is it possible?

Postby TeraByte Support » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:12 pm

if on the same drive it can confuse things as you don't know what the bios
will pick up vs what the os will think was the boot partition.

on different drives, not typically since they usually look to drive 0, but
of course depends on the os.

"MJNelson" wrote in message news:6695@public.bootitbm...

Does having 2 partitions marked active at once create problems?
Mary

On 11/4/2013 5:06 PM, TeraByte Support wrote:
> Just boot into BIBM and look at the drive to see what's on it. If you see
> free space, use undelete, if it's there, then just included it in your
> boot
> item or change the disk type to mbr or gpt. See the first quick link on
> the
> BIBM support page.
>
>
> "Jorge" wrote in message news:6687@public.bootitbm...
>
> Update 2,
> hello all and very thanks to terabyte support.
>
> Well things things didn't go as planned.
> I double check in BIBM if I had both partitions set as active and yes they
> were. I actually shutdown XP64 right before inserting win8 installation
> disk.
> WinXP64 partition had to be erased according to my motherboard's
> manufacturer, because it was working in native mode not legacy. This
> caused
> several thousands of dollars in software loss...
> After installation of Win8-64bit was completed 2 internal Hard Disks of
> 2TB
> each are still not recognized by Win8, the reason still unclear...
> the 2TB Hard Disks are not even recognized by win8 and the only suggestion
> from the motherboard manufacturer is that their partitions are not set to
> run in legacy mode either even though they are not set to boot but only
> for
> data storage, which implies that they will also have to be erased... this
> I
> can not afford.
>
> Sad decisions...
>
> 1. I will longer have a dual boot system because every 6 to 8 years there
> might be a system configuration change and who knows if what ever you are
> setting up right now will work later.
> 2. Now the project has turned to a desperate rescue of the 2 major backup
> drives I have, I thought that loosing the data of 2 drives simultaneously
> was very unlikely, it was not.
> 3. Even though BIBM is a very useful and powerful utility it fails on
> preventing that disasters like this happen. Disaster as letting win8
> installation corrupt XP64 active partition. I will no longer be using
> BIBM.
> I will boot directly to the OS.
>
> It has been a pleasure sharing this project, logging off.
>
>

TeraByte Support
 
Posts: 2275
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 3:37 pm


Return to BootIt Bare Metal