dual boot win7 and winxp

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal.

dual boot win7 and winxp

Postby stu » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi Gentlemen,recently purchased your product and i need a little advice on the following:How do I install Win7 and Winxp on the same drive,but have both operating systems as "C" drive with the none booted partion hidden from the booted partition ? I also need a 2nd drive to be seen in both systems.
stu
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: dual boot win7 and winxp

Postby Brian K » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:20 am

These videos will be a big help.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/index.htm
Brian K
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: dual boot win7 and winxp

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:51 pm

Do some research on Win 7 install - my brain has forgotten all the details, but Win 7 will create another 100 meg partition under some conditions. Not bad in itself other than it takes one of your primary partitions that you may want for something else (typically, you are already using 3 with BIBM in one, XP in another and 7 in a third). On my system, I have the XP mounted as "X:" when in win7 and the win7 partition mounted as "X:" when in XP (since I am still finding various files on one that I need to copy to the other)

mikey
gpsmikey
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 6:19 pm
Location: Kirkland, WA, USA, Earth

Re: dual boot win7 and winxp

Postby a1pcfixer » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:11 am

Gpsmikey,

> Win 7 will create another 100 meg partition under some conditions

For BitLocker Drive Encryption.
--

Jim L.
Using - Virtual Access(OLR)
http://www.virtual-access.org
6.3.0.5 and Windows 7 Service Pack 1 build 7601

a1pcfixer
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:13 pm

Re: dual boot win7 and winxp

Postby Bob Coleman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:25 pm

a1pcfixer wrote:
> Gpsmikey,
>
> > Win 7 will create another 100 meg partition under some conditions
>
> For BitLocker Drive Encryption.
> --
>
> Jim L.
> Using - Virtual Access(OLR)
> http://www.virtual-access.org
> 6.3.0.5 and Windows 7 Service Pack 1 build 7601

I think the partition is required to use BitLocker encryption, but the partition may be created "under some conditions" whether BitLocker encryption is used or not. I don't remember the conditions either. Has something to do with whether or not the partition on which Win7 is being installed already exists before starting the installation or something like that.
Bob Coleman
 
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:58 am

Re: dual boot win7 and winxp

Postby DrTeeth » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:36 am

On Fri, 8 Nov 2013 15:25:41 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
Bob Coleman disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>I think the partition is required to use BitLocker encryption, but the partition may be created "under some conditions" whether BitLocker encryption is used or not.
> I don't remember the conditions either. Has something to do with whether or not the partition on which Win7 is being installed already exists before starting the installation or something like that.

That's it Bob.

One thing to watch out for, if primaries are unlimited, do NOT enable
Bitlocker. It will create the extra partition and create havoc.
--

Cheers,

DrT

** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
** out of someone who richly deserves it.
DrTeeth
 
Posts: 965
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 am

Re: dual boot win7 and winxp

Postby a1pcfixer » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:11 am

Bob,

> Has something to do with whether or not the partition on which Win7 is being installed already exists before starting the installation or something like that.

Well, this PC I built 1 year ago, installed Win 7 Pro 64-bit to a bare/new 256GB-SSD drive and it created the 100MB BL partition with no input from me:-(
--

Jim L.
Using - Virtual Access(OLR)
http://www.virtual-access.org
6.3.0.5 and Windows 7 Service Pack 1 build 7601

a1pcfixer
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:13 pm

Re: dual boot win7 and winxp

Postby a1pcfixer » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:20 am

Bob,

> I think the partition is required to use BitLocker encryption, but the partition may be created "under some conditions" whether BitLocker encryption is used or not.

Here's an excerpt from.......
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/what-are-system-partitions-and-boot-partitions


"Your computer is set up to run BitLocker Drive Encryption. For more information, see Help protect your files using BitLocker Drive Encryption.

The system partition contains the hardware-related files and the Boot folder that tell a computer where to look to start Windows. By default, Windows 7 creates a
separate system partition when it's installed from scratch (as opposed to upgraded from a previous version of Windows) on an unpartitioned hard drive. This partition
is 100 MB in size."

--

Jim L.
Using - Virtual Access(OLR)
http://www.virtual-access.org
6.3.0.5 and Windows 7 Service Pack 1 build 7601

a1pcfixer
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:13 pm

Re: dual boot win7 and winxp

Postby mjnelson99 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:04 am

I found the way to not get the 100 mb partition is to set up the
partition and mark it active first.

Then when I installed Win 7 X64 Home Premium it worked w/o creating that
pesky partition.
Mary

On 11/9/2013 11:11 AM, a1pcfixer wrote:
> Bob,
>
>> Has something to do with whether or not the partition on which Win7 is being installed already exists before starting the installation or something like that.
>
> Well, this PC I built 1 year ago, installed Win 7 Pro 64-bit to a bare/new 256GB-SSD drive and it created the 100MB BL partition with no input from me:-(
>
mjnelson99
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:24 pm


Return to BootIt Bare Metal