validation fails

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal.

validation fails

Postby now_john » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:28 pm

Hello,
Over the years I have made hundreds of images with BING and BIBM and don't remember validation failing more than a time or two. I have a Dell Laptop running Windows 7 with one sata hard drive 250GB. I have made images of OS many times before. This afternoon two consecutive images failed. The first at about 90% and the second about 30%. I booted into BIBM and selected as always the first choice on each page (except of course for the source and destination).

I am running Spinrite now to check the drive. Any other suggestions, especially if I find no errors with Spinrite. Thanks in advance.

John
now_john

Re: validation fails

Postby 30075 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:15 pm

look at the ifw.log in the program directory. Also check the Windows Event Viewer system log. Any time I've had two in a row fail, the drive was going & I just restored the last good backup to a new one. Seems like drives aren't nearly as reliable nowadays unless you buy the enterprise ones... I have some old drives from the early part of last decade that are still humming along, but it seems I've had about a 50% failure rate within a year or two on everything in the past half-dozen years. And it's hard not to notice that Seagate has dropped their warranties from 5 years to a year. I think WD has slashed them, too.

Postby TeraByte Support » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:24 pm

you probably have memory going bad, I wouldn't run any disk utility at this
point, run memtest86+ from memtest.org overnight and/or just replace the
memory as a starting point.

"now_john" wrote in message news:6221@public.bootitbm...

Hello,
Over the years I have made hundreds of images with BING and BIBM and don't
remember validation failing more than a time or two. I have a Dell Laptop
running Windows 7 with one sata hard drive 250GB. I have made images of OS
many times before. This afternoon two consecutive images failed. The first
at about 90% and the second about 30%. I booted into BIBM and selected as
always the first choice on each page (except of course for the source and
destination).

I am running Spinrite now to check the drive. Any other suggestions,
especially if I find no errors with Spinrite. Thanks in advance.

John

TeraByte Support

Postby now_john » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:54 am

I checked the ifd.log as I was using BIBM and not IFW. This is the report from that log. Both reports were the same except for the time.
[ 9/03/2013 3:17:35 pm] Deleting incomplete or failed backup.
[ 9/03/2013 3:17:35 pm] Operation Completed with Error Code 80
[ 9/03/2013 3:17:35 pm] The image stream is corrupt. Please reboot!
I was able to run two successful images later last evening.
When I ran the two failed images I was also working on two other computers at the time doing some maintenance. I recalled (after I had written the post below) that during the first image creation I had removed a usb drive from a usb hub attached to that computer. During the second I accidentally touched a yubikee attached to the same hub and triggered it. The computer emitted the usual noises it does if a key is pressed too long. Is it possible that those two mistakes of mine could have caused the image failure? I removed all usb devices from the computer (it is a laptop) before I made the two successful images.
I do not have easy access to it today but could also run a memory test.
Thank you for the suggestions.
now_john

Postby TeraByte Support(PP) » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:42 am

I would say it's possible. I've used systems that have been quite sensitive in that area (e.g. static electricity). Good idea to still check RAM, though.
Paul Purviance
TeraByte Support
TeraByte Support(PP)

Return to BootIt Bare Metal