Partition doesn't have OS

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Patosan

Partition doesn't have OS

Post by Patosan »

I have both installed xp and win7 on drive 0 and 1 without trouble. Recently I tried to install an extra win7 version, 64 bit, on drive 1. On my 1st attempt I forgot to hide all the xp partitions so drive 0 xp got the win7 boot mngr, guess it must've also been active. I reinstalled the xp image so all well but win7 64bit still no os message.

On 2nd attempt of win7 install to drive 1 I hid ALL other os partitions and set the new install partition active b4 start. Thus my xp partitions are fine, but after reactivating BIBM my new win7 again doesn't boot saying "no os" I tried to use the BCD edit feature but get "No DCB Store" error message.

What should I do ? I don't mind reinstalling win7 again if I forgot to do something.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Partition doesn't have OS

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

You need to use the Swap option so that HD1 is swapped with HD0 (the installer will think it's HD0). Another option is just to disable or disconnect the XP drive (HD0) when installing and let HD1 be the booting drive. After Windows 7 x64 is installed enable/connect the XP drive and set it back as the booting drive. Then make sure the BIBM boot item for Windows 7 x64 has the Swap option enabled and the correct partition selected to boot.
Patosan

Post by Patosan »

I had used the SWAP option in both attempts, w/o success. So I tried diconnecting the drive 0 option, in addition I hid even the other win7 partitions and formatted the only xp partition on the drive 1. It worked ! The new win7 64bit partition also has a BCD accessable from Partition Work, though I don't need to use it now. After reconnecting drive 0 all win7 and xp os boot fine from the BIBM boot menu.

I am still curious about why I had to unplug drive get a proper install though.
Thanks guys.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Some systems need to have the "Fix Swap" option enabled (BIBM settings) to make swapping work. In any case, keeping the install as simple as possible is sometimes the easiest method.
Patosan

Post by Patosan »

Sorry to ask ... what is "Fix Swap" ?
TeraByte Support(PP)

It's an option in BIBM settings. You would enable it and still use the Swap option in the boot item options. If your system is working okay now it's probably not necessary to mess with it.