File type Win 8

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
estteban

File type Win 8

Post by estteban »

I accidentally changed the file type from ? to NTFS on my asus aspire one 725 netbook,can somebody tell me what the original file type is for this machine please?? I tried 239/EFh: EFI System and nothing happens
Bios settings must be in Boot Mode Legacy to run boot ng and see the partiton.

Thanks,
Jose G
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: File type Win 8

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

If still not working, can you provide more details about the system and partitions and what changes were made? I would assume that system should be GPT/UEFI since it has Windows 8 (Acer Aspire One 725). The 239/EFh type is for MBR type disks. On GPT the EFI System partition is FAT32.
estteban

Post by estteban »

Thanks Paul for your assistance, I really need to get this mini laptop back to life, There is only one big partition, and I can only boot other device other than the hard drive when I set the bios to boot in Legacy bios, therefore I do not see the partition at all when bios settings is set to boot in UEFI.
The only change made was to change the file type accidentally, I just dont remember what was the actual file type showing before.

Thanks,
Jose G
TeraByte Support(PP)

If you're actually using BING instead of BIBM that may be causing problems (BING doesn't support GPT drives). The single large partition you see is mostly like the GPT Reserved partition (this is a special partition to protect the drive from non-GPT aware programs). If so, it should be type EEh and it doesn't have a format.
estteban

Post by estteban »

BIBM saw exactly the same thing as BING, so the partition should be 238/EEh: GPT Reserved??

Thanks,
Jose G.
estteban

Post by estteban »

Thank you so Much Paul!! It worked !!

Jose G
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Paul, what is the function of a 239/EFh type partition on a MBR type disk?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Brian,

It's the "EFI System partition" for MBR disks. From what I've read it's the equivalent to the same partition on a GPT disk. On Windows systems configured this way I would assume that only the UEFI BIOS would use it (unless there was another OS installed that would use it).