UEFI and Win8 install

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Brian K

UEFI and Win8 install

Post by Brian K »

I built a computer last year and installed Win8 in MBR mode because I wanted to use BIBM for multi-booting. Out of interest, how do you recommend installing Win8 on a UEFI system if you only want the one OS? Install Win8 to unallocated space and accept the Microsoft created partitions or pre-partition the drive and then install.
TeraByte Support

Re: UEFI and Win8 install

Post by TeraByte Support »

Doesn't matter - a EFI System partition is needed of course.

"Brian K" wrote in message news:5220@public.bootitbm...

I built a computer last year and installed Win8 in MBR mode because I wanted
to use BIBM for multi-booting. Out of interest, how do you recommend
installing Win8 on a UEFI system if you only want the one OS? Install Win8
to unallocated space and accept the Microsoft created partitions or
pre-partition the drive and then install.

Brian K

Post by Brian K »

TeraByte Support wrote:
> Doesn't matter - a EFI System partition is needed of course.
>

Thanks, that does help. I know you can't say but I'm looking forward to being able to use BIBM with UEFI in the future.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

I assume there is no problem restoring an Entire drive image to a new drive in the event of drive failure. Correct?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Correct. However, depending on the system, you may need to adjust the boot order to get the new drive booting.

As for installing to GPT, I would just go with the default and let it create what it needs. Since the partitions are small and you're not limited it doesn't really gain anything by trying to prevent them.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
However, depending on the system, you may need to adjust the boot
> order to get the new drive booting.
>

Thanks for that. I'm not clear what you mean by "adjust the boot order".
TeraByte Support(PP)

On one of my UEFI systems the BIOS changes the order when the drives change. If I restore to a "new" drive the BIOS may not assume it's the booting drive or that "Windows Boot Manager" on it should be the default. I have to go in and pick it.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

OK, understood.

Do you "prefer" a UEFI system over a MBR one. Apart from not being able to use BIBM and having Secure Boot, what is going for it? Does it boot faster, etc? Ignore booting from large drives as many of us boot from SSDs. I appreciate your insight.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Once it's setup and you're using it there isn't really that much difference between them. The main thing I like about my UEFI Windows 8 system that it really does boot up much faster -- I can be in Windows before my other systems get out of the BIOS screens. I would assume this is partly the BIOS and partly Windows 8. On my system I didn't see any real improvement with Fast Startup, which I wouldn't use anyway (corrupted file systems). It's booting a SATA 6Gb/s SSD so I'm sure that helps it. I don't have any comparison to Windows 7, though, since I didn't install it on that system. I assume it would be just as fast getting out of the BIOS, but probably take two or three times as long (or longer) to get into Windows.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Paul, are you saying you could get to the Win8 Start Screen faster if the OS is installed in UEFI mode rather than MBR mode?