Editing files across partitions

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Alan

Editing files across partitions

Post by Alan »

BootIt BM's existing functionality gets me "really close", but ultimately unable to achieve this:

I can edit any file on a partition, but I cannot open a file from one partition and "Save As" to a different partition. Nor does the cut-n-paste buffer persist in a manner that lets me cut text while editing a file in one partition and paste while editing a file in another parition.

So that's just an idea I'm wanting to pass along: Maybe the text cut-n-paste buffer could persist between instances of the editor, which would be useful in a several situations for making basic configuration changes that I've already done in another partition. Or (and?) since BootIt BM does already support "Edit File" and "Save As" on nearly any partition, maybe the Save As dialog could permit optionally targeting a different supported partition in addition to a different directory and file name.

-Alan
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Editing files across partitions

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

For the "Save As" to a different partition issue, a workaround could be to use TBOSDT (Scripting icon) to mount the partition(s) and then copy/move the files around. You don't have to write a script (it can be done easily from the prompt).

For example, to copy file1.txt from HD0-PartitionID-01 to HD1-PartitionID-02:

open 0: 0 0x1
open 1: 1 0x2
copy 0:\file1.txt 1:

The "list hd #" command will list the partitions and their ID values for the selected drive. For example, "list hd 0" will list the partitions on HD0.
Alan

Re: Editing files across partitions

Post by Alan »

Thanks for the workaround, and for not making me go look up all the TBOSDT commands. :)

-Alan